Live rock in canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddm_aet

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,
I currently have two tanks running which have canister filters, and i've read here about putting live rock in them instead of bio balls to get rid of a possible source of nitrate.

When i do this should i use base rock or live rock, because i thought live rock needed light for some of the creatures that live in it?

My tanks are:
55 Gallon FOWLR was CC switching to LS have about half of it done so far.
cascade 1500 canister filter
emperor 400 overflow with carbon cartridge
seaclone 150 skimmer (i hate it)
(2) 200 gph ph
60 lbs LR probably get more
6" panther grouper
3" Australian red clown
2" emerald crab
about 15 to 20 blue legged small hermits
planning on getting some snails

75 gallon FOWLR with LS substrate
cascade 1500 canister filter
emperor 400 overflow with carbon cartridge
i need to get a skimmer for it
magnum 200 hang on canister
400 gph ph
60 lbs LR need to get more
24" snow flake moray
6" red barred hawk
2 1/2-3" white striped damsel
about 200-300 cerith snails came from live rock

Both tanks nitrate levels only get to about 15 ppm
i do a 20 to 30% PWC weekly
all other test are right on

Any help or comments will be greatly appreciated.
Derek

Base rock is fine. www.reeferrocks.com sells lr rubble pretty cheap. Just make sure you replace it in steps of about 20% each week so you don’t inadvertently cause any nh3/no2 spikes.

Hopefully you are aware that the Panther Grouper is going to get huge and should be returned to the lfs once it’s 8”.

tecwzrd, when you say replace 20% each week - do you mean actually putting in 20% new rubble, or rotating about 20% in and out to clean?

Replace the media with lr rubble in 20% increments. You have 60 lbs of lr in your 75 which is pretty close to supplying your full bio-filtration but I still wouldn’t get rid of all the media in the canister at one time. Replacing a small part each week will keep from replacing too much of your bacteria at one time and give the lr rubble a chance to cultivate bacteria.

i just ordered some lr rubble from reefrocks i was going to order more live rock to but their out right now. should i also remove the sponge filter at the bottom of the canister filter.

Sponges are just going to trap waste as well and will need to be cleaned frequently. I would run it with lr rubble only.

I use and recommend using a sponge on the strainer where the water is taken in. That way it’s easier for the clean up crews to help keep it clean and also easy to reach in every couple of days to take it off and rinse out the waste build up.

Back
Top Bottom