Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2010, 03:20 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

You will get a lot of different answers ranging from 6-12. I typically like to do 8-total hours. With 1-hour dawn before the 6-hours of full light and 1-hour dusk after the 6-hours of full light.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
try to mimic the natural day. 10-12 hours is what i would shoot for.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Most of the livestock in our tanks come from near- or equatorial waters. They are used to a 12 - 13 hour light period day. The standard advice is for 12 hours of actinic and 10 hours of daylight for PC, T5 and MH-combos.
That would include the actinics on an hour before the others and an hour longer.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

the morning evening transition is great for fish, so it doesn't startle them with a sudden on/off, and it's great for the human keepers to see their creation under the blue lights, but it doesn't effect the corals either way.

i have used the morning/evening transition for most of my tanks, except for my last tank, which was a shallow reef. i used plant grow fixtures over that tank which only had one cord, so i couldn't do the morning evening thing. the corals didn't care either way. they grew just fine.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessimiff View Post
Hi,

We have a marine tank that we have had for approx. 2 years now and from a lot of trial and error we are starting to make progress. However, when i look at pics of other tanks, their live rock is always clean and almost white looking, whereas we seem to have a constant algae prolem, its green and ruins the entire look of the tank. Any advise would e soooo appreciated.

Thanks,

Jess
do you use 0tds water from a RO/DI? how old are your bulbs?

none of my rocks are white, and most get covered in coraline.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've heard that if LR turns white its called Calcination or something like that... I may be wrong but I think that means your LR is Dying? IDK for sure hopefully someone can verify for me b/c2 of my LRs are doing the same thing
Old 12-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

live rock is not really alive. it's the bacteria that resides on it that makes it "alive". turning white could be a few things:
some times folks upgrade their lighting which kills all the coralline, and the rock turns white.
sometimes they have an urchin in the tank that eats everything on the rock rendering it white.
sump rock that doesn't see any light is usually white.
some times it's just going through a stage. for instance, you buy live rock with all sorts of stuff growing on it from the lfs. put it in your tank and between the transport out of water or wrapped in damp newspaper, and the cycle, all that colorful stuff dies off and white rock is left. this is usually the case for new tanks.
that rock you get from the lfs sits out of water for days before they get it. damp from a sparse coating of wet newspaper- hardly enough to sustain some of the life on it. then you put it in the tank. all the dead stuff causes a cycle as it decomposes. ammonia kills more stuff....white rock is what remains.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh ok

Tags
clean, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com