Live rock move question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to be switching out tanks this weekend. I have a 75 that is scratched up and I am replacing the tank only. The one that I bought is exactly the same as the one I am replacing. I need to take all of the rock, coral and fish out and put in buckets. Then I need to move the tank, hook up the sump, get everything back in and get it running. My question is "can I take the rock out of the tank and put it in buckets of new saltwater instead of water from the tank?" I know that I should take the fish and corals out and put them in water from the tank, but wouldnt the live rock be ok in new water? I dont think I can get enough out of the tank to keep the fish, corals and live rock in water. With the corals and fish, I will then acclimate to the tank with all new saltwater. Please give opinions, I will be doing the move this weekend. Thanks as always for your help! Here is a video just to let you know what I'm working with.

75 gallon reef 24 Jun 12 - YouTube

Are you saying to move the rock, fish and corals out of the tank and into buckets of new saltwater? I would have to acclimate them to it, right?

I would put the fish into old water and then drip them to the new. Same with corals. For rock, just plop it in new water.

crister13 said:
I would put the fish into old water and then drip them to the new. Same with corals. For rock, just plop it in new water.

That was gonna be my plan. Have about 80 gallons of salt ready to go. Should be about right I think. Maybe make 20 more.

crister13 said:

+1 this would be best IMO since it would reduce shock as much as posable

Back
Top Bottom