Live Rock Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmaglione

Aquarium Advice Regular
I obtained some dead live rock from a friend. I knew about the dying bacteria that may cause an ammonia spike in my tank if i put it in, which is why i decided to cure it. I put it in a bucket of salt water with a power head where it has been sitting for a week now. I measured the parameters and the ammonia level is .5 ppm and nitrates and nitrites are at 0. This sort of makes sense to me but isnt it supposed to be broken down to nitrites then nitrates? anyway im wondering about next steps ? When can i put it in the Display tank? Should i change the water out put new saltwater with next to no ammonia then let the ammonia levels rise one more time before i throw the rocks in the DT?

I am really excited to get the new rock into the tank, but i also wouldnt want to kill everything off in my tank because i jumped the gun. Do i really need to wait untill i see the ammonia break down to nitrates to put the rock in ?

I am really excited to get the new rock into the tank, but i also wouldnt want to kill everything off in my tank because i jumped the gun. Do i really need to wait untill i see the ammonia break down to nitrates to put the rock in ?

Do you really want to release toxic ammonia into your tank? If not, the correct answer is yes, you need to wait.

The decaying matter on the rock will result in ammonia, then nitrites, and finally nitrates. Don't change any of the water unless you get extreme levels of ammonia (6-8ppm) which might kill the bacteria that are currently colonizing the rock as it cures. Yes, just wait until ammonia and nitrite fall to 0ppm and you see nitrates rise, then you can safely add it, although I would recommend giving the rock a quick rinse in a bucket of new saltwater before sticking it into the tank. HTH

Last edited:
like thominil said. Just wait. The more patient you are the better the results. It took me a year with a 55 and "beginner fish and corals" before I upgrades to a 120. It was worth the wait. The knoledge just from reading others mistakes is invaluable. Just wait. You will be rewarded. I let my rock sit in my new tank for 2 months before I added anything to it. It went very smoothly and I never saw a spike on anything. It is worth the wait.

Its been 2 weeks with my rock and not a single increase in nitrites or nitrates. Im thinking i need to add a small chromis or something to add wastes to help the cycling process along. Or purchase a cycling agent to put in the water.

You would be better off cycling with out fish. Read this article about it.

Cycle your salt tank

Most of those cycling agents don't do much if anything depending on how long they have been sitting on the shelf.

Its been 2 weeks with my rock and not a single increase in nitrites or nitrates. Im thinking i need to add a small chromis or something to add wastes to help the cycling process along. Or purchase a cycling agent to put in the water.

Patience is critical in this hobby.

If you are set on trying to speed up the cycle a little, there is no reason to use a live animal to do this dirty task.

Simply feed the curing live rock with some flake food daily. This will introduce more ammonia and thus speed the cycle.

Most off the shelf products dont' work.

I suggest just being patient though.

Back
Top Bottom