Live Rock Quick Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering with my new 55 gallon Aquarium is it best to go all live rock or base rock? I hear base rock like BRS pukani rock will leech ALOT of phosphates into the water. I was going to get 60 pounds of Premium Ultra Fiji Cured Live Rock from premium Aquatics. Its already cured so should I just go with 60 pounds of it? I'm kinda paranoid about bad hitch hikers lol. also are feather dusters hard to keep?

If I were you I'd buy like 5-10 lbs of live rock then the rest with base rock. You save a ton of money plus you have a less chance of finding nasty pest.

The fiji rock is really nice so it depends on the look you want. I think you would need to buy more fiji then base or the base rock will show through. It will take quite awhile for the base rock to color up I would think.

Feather dusters are easy. Need good flow and they will find there happy place and filter away. Decent water helps everyone

Idk where you heard that base rock will leach phosphates but this is often the claim that LFS will make in order to get you to buy more live rock. In actuality many people use base rock in their systems and I've never seen or heard of an actual instance where the addition or use of base rock has cause high phosphate levels.

Idk where you heard that base rock will leach phosphates but this is often the claim that LFS will make in order to get you to buy more live rock. In actuality many people use base rock in their systems and I've never seen or heard of an actual instance where the addition or use of base rock has cause high phosphate levels.

the Pukani rock from bulk reef supply will leech AOT of phosphate. Google it and you will see all the complaints. Its beautiful dry rock but too much trouble with the phosphates.

Back
Top Bottom