Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2004, 11:49 AM   #11
steve-s

Yes quite easily. I would buy the cheaper rubble rock from the LFS holding tanks or dead base rock. Much cheaper and the end result will be the same. The biological filtering effects of the rock are not light dependant.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-30-2004, 11:55 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just purchased 30lbs. of rubble for my sump from Ebay for $39.00. I think it is Walt Smith rock. Seems to be some pretty good stuff. Reasonable price too. My lfs doesn't give out, or sell rubble at all.

Mike

Old 11-30-2004, 03:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
you can put it in your sump, but you'll kill all the coralline! you'll be turning expensive LR into cheap base rock

if you don't have enough room in the tank for the LR, move some of the base to the sump (where it will work fine as a biofilter, just won't get pretty) and put the LR in the tank.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I only ordered it for my sump as a replacement for the bio balls. That's why it was so cheap..it's only rubble, but good porous pieces.

Mike
Old 11-30-2004, 03:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
ah ok. then just toss a couple bits into the main tank to seed the base.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I actually have 90lbs. of live rock in my main tank. I was riding on this thread so I could share pricing on rubble for people. The 30lbs. was for the sump so I could get rid of the bio balls altogether.. 8)
Old 11-30-2004, 08:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I guess to summarize everyone's comments, if I add live rock to my tank either in the sump or in the main display, my current base rock should become live rock over time. However, my base rock will not get corraline algae growth if I put the live rock in the sump. Does this all sound correct? :|
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:29 PM   #18
steve-s

Put the LR in the main tank (preserve the coralline) and the base in the sump. The base will become "live" no matter where it's placed.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-30-2004, 11:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

The rock is good in the sump as well and will become live as the bacteria will grow in the sump as well. It will turn brown though and will not develop any new coraline algae without any lights. You might consider making it a refugium/sump, which lots of people on here have done, with lots of posts if you search for ideas...

Good luck!

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Aquascaping: 3" DSB, 50lb live rock (~35 lbs home made Cement Base Rock)
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Critters: Hawaiian feather duster, Coral Banded Shrimp, Emerald Crab
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
vertex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock, seed, seeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com