Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2004, 11:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Live Rock Seeding

I've got some base rock in my tank now and was wondering if I was to get some live rock, would the anaerobic bacteria transfer to my base rock?

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 01:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
Yes. but really, you don't even need to do that. bacteria will grow everywhere. You can actually just use a piece of raw unfrozen cocktail shrimp to grow the same bacteria. IT's just that "live rock" is prettier

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 09:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I didn't know that.
I had placed my live rock directly adjacent (touching, actually) my base rock hoping to get it to seed.
Thanks.
Jeff
Old 11-27-2004, 10:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
Actually that would be right. The live rock is "pretty" but i used almost twice as much base rock as I did live and even the base rock gains the pretty coraline in a bout 6-8 months. Can barely tell the difference between my old base and live rock now. And it provides a good place for that bacteria to grow.

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 10:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Base rock is a lot cheaper too And like already stated in several months it will look/function exactly like the LR you purchased.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

So then if I already have about 200 lbs of base rock, how much live rock should I get to "seed" my base rock? Will the anaerobic bacteria form inside my base rock without seeding the tank with live rock? If I do seed the tank with live rock, how long will it take to transfer the anaerobic bacteria to the base rock?
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
Old 11-28-2004, 11:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
The more live rock you put in the faster it will seed. And the bacteria will form without live rock, but i would recommend getting at least a small amount of live rock to help out. Also, are u using a live sand bed? Great for bio-diversity.

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 01:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

No, I don't have a live sand bed. Probably should consider it. Can the live rock go underneath the aquarium in my sump, so I don't have to disturb the base rock I already have in the tank? I've noticed the nitrates creeping up a bit in last month or two, up to about 20 now.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:46 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Another thing that will really help to speed up the process (algae at least anyway) is to get some (scraped off) coraline algae from a store, fello reefer or online and spread it out on your base rocks. This will really accellerate the grouth of new coraline algae on the base rocks so things won't take so long. It just depends how patient you are though for everything.

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Aquascaping: 3" DSB, 50lb live rock (~35 lbs home made Cement Base Rock)
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Critters: Hawaiian feather duster, Coral Banded Shrimp, Emerald Crab
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
vertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:40 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

So what about my question about the live rock in the sump? Can it go in their without light?

Tags
live, live rock, rock, seed, seeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com