Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Live rock suggestions

I'll be stopping after work to pick up my live rock and I have a couple of questions. I'd like to make things more coral friendly in this tank.....I seem to have limited areas to tuck corals into in my 72 gallon tank. My questions are:

1-can I stack rock up against the back of the tank? I'd like to have my creatures out front.
2-how difficult is it to drill live rock? I'm thinking of anchoring this rock using a rod (drill through the rock and thread the rod through the stacks of rocks).
3-is there a rule of thumb for selecting live rock? ie-mainly medium sized with a few smaller ones for fill-large for bottom and then small? suggestions?
4-several of the live rock pieces don't have any color to them.....my other tank has plenty...can I scrape off the algae and siphon it off and then dump the algae and water into the new tank? or is there an easier way to do this that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks very much for your endless help folks!

Old 08-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

1. Yes you can but make sure that it can't move.
2. Not difficult at all. A masonry bit and you are in business.
3. This is totally up to you, and how you want your tank to look
4. Coraline algae doesn't like air so doing that would probably kill it. You can seed the new tank with a few small pieces of rock from your other tank to help things along.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

1. I would limit rockwork against the back as this becomes a stagnant zone where mulm and other deposits sit and rot. It also limits the territorial spread unless the tank is very large. If you decide to build a back wall then add a powerhead or two to alleviate "dead spots," but make sure it can be retrieved when necessary.
2. Nylon threaded rods and nuts for anchor support and Devcon (usually permanent) to bind them.
3. As long as the heavy/large rocks are on the bottom the design is up to you as Ziggy mentioned. Bommies, craters, lagoon, etc. My favorite thing to do is check out reef sites (I prefer seapics.com) and study the rock formations off actual reefs and attempt to recreate or justify on a smaller scale.
4. Uncured live rock will eventually spread corralines onto unexposed rockwork and aquarium surfaces; otherwise, you can scrape the corraline from another tank, but this may or may not be a lengthy jumpstart.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
If you decide to build a back wall then add a powerhead or two to alleviate "dead spots," but make sure it can be retrieved when necessary.
This is what I do. I have mine on the back glass. Forces the fish out front. I agree that some flow is needed in the back.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Man! I am happier than a clam at high tide!! I think it made all the difference this time....------> I <----- picked out the rock and it fits so well together I didn't even have to drill it or anything. I got it for $3.00 a pound, fully cured! WhooHoo!!

AND.....since today is his last day...he threw this in for free! Not sure what it is but it's about the size of my palm.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Beautiful. I really like it.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Likely instant cycle with that rock. Check water readings for the heck of it though IMO.

What's the plan for fish? Might be ready to add the cleanup crew and that first fish.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:09 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
What are the "knobs" on the top of the lighting fixture?
I do like the rock work and sand.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
What are the "knobs" on the top of the lighting fixture?
I do like the rock work and sand.
Those knobs are an 'oops' in the picture....they're from an antique wall clock (that really needs to be moved).

Wow, you're observant....you must have young children!
Old 08-28-2008, 12:35 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
LOL, no young children (want to adopt, just like I was), I thought it was a new "gizmo" and was interested.
Antique wall clock, my dad has a clock repair shop, and a wood workshop....hmmm, maybe a new tank stand design...well, maybe after he helps me build new cabinets for our kitchen.....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com