Live Rock while Re-aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Reaquascaping today and I've got a bunch of rock in big bins of water. It's going to take me probably all day to do what I have to do. Letting the sand settle, siphoning out the crud, adding my spraybar, etc. Is live rock okay in room temperature tap water for hours at a time? This is turning into a larger project than I thought and they're going to be sitting for a while. I had to lose pods or any beneficial bacteria.

- Skins

I would use the tank water in the tubs and add a heater and powerhead to maintain temp ad circulation

You need to store the LR in SW not FW. You`ll probably lose alot of your nitrifying bacteria. The rock will not be much live anymore. When you put it back in your tank it will have to grow back on the rock.

Wow, I totally typed "tap" water. I have no recollection of doing that - it was a complete mistake on my part, I MEANT to type TANK water. I'm reading these posts thinking - why do these people think I'm using FW? Then I re-read my stupid post.

Anyway, no it was tank water - not tap water. My only concern was that it cooled to room temperature for a couple-few hours before going back to the tank. I wasn't expecting it to take that long. I'm just hoping everything is fine.

I'll start previewing my posts before submitting from now on!

you should be fine as long as you watch the temp. Have fun, I just moved a few of the top rocks around Thursday night. Didnt have the take everything out though, just stacked on other die of tank.

You should be OK as long as it was only a day or two. If it should be longer you`ll need to add an ammonia source.

Back
Top Bottom