Live rock with bubble algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wael El-Dasher

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of the rocks I got, a very nice piece, has quite a bit of bubble algae. I didn't know what it was at the time, but found out it can be a real problem.

I would like to know what others have done to remedy this problem. I'm pulling this one rock out of the aquarium and will run down to the LFS I bought it from and exchange it.

What do you think?

cheers

Wael

If they will allow you to exchange it for a different piece then i would do that. If not then you can pull it out of the tank and try to pull off all the bubble algae. Rinse the rock in saltwater before you put it back in the tank.

If you already have a bunch of rock in the tank and you are just adding a little extra you can just let the rock dry out to kill off all the algae.

If it is a real nice piece I would try cleaning it off too. Use a toothbrush. It will come back though. But that's why god invented emerald crabs. I think bubble algae is pretty cool looking, myself. But I do pull it out when I can.

I wonder if there is a way to get it by dipping it? Bleach, vinegar, pool acid...

Or just put it in a bucket with 5 crabs.

unless it has some super nice colors id just let it dry out and become dead rock and place it back in, no use in getting rid of a nice piece

Well it took the rock back and exchanged it. From what I read even if I remove them, they'll come back. It's a pity because it's such a nice big rock with so much life in it with plenty of tiny corals. It weighed 7.5Kg but all the other rock I have is also teaming with living things and completely purple so I was worried they'll get bubble algae too. I picked a good sized rock that had some decent things growing on it. I need to post some photos because if you see the rocks you'd know that it would be a tremendous shame to kill it just to get rid of the bubble algae. The LFS had these rocks for about 2 years so they're really alive.

newreefaddict said:
ive heard that emerald crabs will help eat bubble algae

I read that too but somewhere it also said they can just as quickly turn onto the corals if they get board with the algae. Anyone else read that or experienced this?

I read that too but somewhere it also said they can just as quickly turn onto the corals if they get board with the algae. Anyone else read that or experienced this?

never heard this. mine takes down algae like a champ. went to the lfs and they had 3 in their display tank that grew to over 2 inches eah! with no ill effects on coral. not to say it hasnt happened though

Back
Top Bottom