live Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Gross

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been reading about changing-out substrates etc and a question came to mind which has always been lurking.........
"what" is the difference that separates "live" sand from any other ??
I assume that my substrate "had-to'have-been' live at one point,due to the years and love put into the tank by the ORIGIONAL owner.
Now-a-days...me being the third owner away from the origional...having rescued my tank from neglect and loss of interest...when rebuilding I'd flushed all/most of the bio out of the sand(everything in the tank was dead except 3 fish) and reinstalled.Since then I have 5 hermitts...5 Nau-snails..one goby...3 damsels..2clowns..1 Tang..! Chromis.
Today I'm curious as to whether or not...a sand substrate which was once "ALIVE"............"can" be revitalized ...and if possibly my actions thus far have been benifitial or detramental to a desired LIVING substrate ??

Two things IMO make sand "live". One is the nitrifying bacteria that is on it that establishes the nitrogen cycle. Two is the fauna that is established in it. The microscopic to critter size (for lack of a better word) organisms that live in the sand. As long as your sand has been wet and in a tank with livestock then I would suggest your substrate would be OK. If the sand dried out or there was nothing in the tank to produce ammonia to feed the nitrifying bacteria then it might not be alive. My guess is that you are OK.

Thankx Mike for your(as usual)timely response!
Being as how the previous question did'nt seem to make me feel like a blithering idiot...(snik)...I have another for "you"...."you" knowing the history of "my" tank somewhat more than most A/A'ers :
Same question as before..."BUT"(!)...w/corals.Can/or DO corals regenerate themselves after a cleaning etc like mine have undergone ??
Some of what were white dead skeletons which I've placed in the tank for hiding places etc for the living residents now have started developing color.But only the parts "DIRECTLY"under the lights.A very distinguishable red/pink coloring only on the top section(s) 'of' the corals...where lightrays touch and blow past.(need a photo? or canya imagion what I'm discribing?)

It almost sounds like you are talking about coralline growing on your coral. If they are dead they can not come back alive but coraline can grow on them and will. Hopefully this is what you are asking if not let me know or post a pic and we will get it right.

I agree with Mike, it could be coralline, but a pic would definitely help.

Back
Top Bottom