Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Live sand

I have a half of bucket of live sand that came out of a established tank,
it's been sitting for around 3 months, is it still good, or do i go buy some new sand ?

I want to start a new 24G Nano Cube in my office, Thanks

Old 05-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to harmy4993
its still good but it isnt alive. it can become alive again thou

fan of http://www.reefcleaners.org/
harmy4993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
is back to save the day!

That's nasty.. its been sitting for 3 months? Definitely not live.. and probably smells terrible.. If it was a completely established sandbed, then i can imagine there was a huge die-off.. and whatever living was in that is dead and rotting now.

I think the best option would be to just get entirely new sand(dry aragonite), and then get a cup of live sand from someones established sandbed. It doesn't take long for the sandbed to become live.. even though it won't be fully live for a little while. Depending on how deep and how much sand you have. Unless you want to thoroughly clean the sand and get a lot of the dead stuff out.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
That's nasty.. its been sitting for 3 months? Definitely not live.. and probably smells terrible.. If it was a completely established sandbed, then i can imagine there was a huge die-off.. and whatever living was in that is dead and rotting now.

I think the best option would be to just get entirely new sand(dry aragonite), and then get a cup of live sand from someones established sandbed. It doesn't take long for the sandbed to become live.. even though it won't be fully live for a little while. Depending on how deep and how much sand you have. Unless you want to thoroughly clean the sand and get a lot of the dead stuff out.
That's the answer I was looking for, thanks !
Old 05-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have just recently set up a 30 gallon reef mostly composed of 5-6 month old rock and sand sitting in a bucket (had to move...now I got it set up agian).

Dont let anybody tell you its not good anymore!!!!! PLEASE...this stuff is as expensive as its gets! Just rinse out the sand, agian and agian until it comes clean, then use. Mine when i rinsed was dirty as could get but after rinsing agian and agian it came clean and I have no problems in my tank with it! BUT...The bacteria will be dead (of course...) so after it is clean and in your tank, seed it with sand from a friends tank with no real problems...and you should be good to go
Old 06-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
is back to save the day!

Expensive? Not really.. $20 for 30lbs. He has a 24G tank. One bag should do the trick. Why waste time cleaning nasty rotting old sand. I would buy the $20 fresh bag of sand.

Tags
live, live sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com