Live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babymama

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any ideas on where to get live sand for cheaper than $45 for a 10 pound bag

Kinda related what If I got a 10 Gal tank and did a cycle in that then switch sand our to main tank?

You can minimize the chances of a cycle/mini cycle by adding the "live" sand very slowly, by that I mean add a little to one side of the tank first then wait. Do this over the course of I'd say 2 weeks.

Now keep in mind also, if adding sand on top of existing "live" sand you will likely suffocate the bacteria in the current "live" sand therefor a mini cycle will most likely take place. By adding more sand very slowly and over time you may avoid that all together.

Just something to think about :)

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
You can minimize the chances of a cycle/mini cycle by adding the "live" sand very slowly, by that I mean add a little to one side of the tank first then wait. Do this over the course of I'd say 2 weeks.

Now keep in mind also, if adding sand on top of existing "live" sand you will likely suffocate the bacteria in the current "live" sand therefor a mini cycle will most likely take place. By adding more sand very slowly and over time you may avoid that all together.

Just something to think about :)

Agree with convict add it lil each day and you should be fine

Back
Top Bottom