Live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrapeApe

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've had my tank for almost a year now. I want to know if I have crushed coral or sand. Is crushed coral light?

So I've had my tank for almost a year now. I want to know if I have crushed coral or sand. Is crushed coral light?
Take a picture and show us .
Do you remember what the bag said ?
Live sand

Looks like aragonite or crushed coral .
But I could be wrong

image-2908985907.jpg

Here are a few pictures of my sand ,
On the bag it was labeled as Caribbean live sand .
One picture has some red algae .
The other is a cave with my sand sifting goby .

Attachments

• image-3510138764.jpg
    image-3510138764.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 127
It could possibly be a course grain if sand

Its not a crushed coral the color is to consistent for that. Its not an every day beach sand it doesnt have that muddy look. My guess is live sand.

Is your sand light my water pumps blow mine around
If I turn the power heads towards the bottom it will but it settles fast .
I have 2 fish the stir the sand all the time .
The goby sifts it and the yellow wrasse burrows when it's threatened ,

I think we need a few others to chime in with their experience .
I don't know why your pumps are blowing the sand around .
What do you have for a system ?
Tank size ? Stock ?
How long has it been running ?

I think we need a few others to chime in with their experience . I don't know why your pumps are blowing the sand around . What do you have for a system ? Tank size ? Stock ? How long has it been running ?

75 gallon tank and a 30 gallon sump. It's been riun for years I bought it from a guy who ran it for years before I bought it I've got 2 water movers and I'm getting another one to replace my other one because I can't position the force.

You have sand in your tank. At one point it may have been dry, but it is live by now. I would stay away from crushed coral (CC). CC unless well maintained can cause nitrate buildup.

Just for the record I wana say... called it. Thank you Rick I didnt know what made live sand until now. Its simply sand that has grown a biofilter with time it seems. Am I right?

Just for the record I wana say... called it. Thank you Rick I didnt know what made live sand until now. Its simply sand that has grown a biofilter with time it seems. Am I right?

Yup pretty much. All dry/base sand becomes live over time.

I know someone that has 20 lbs of live sand is there anything I need to do to it before I add it to my tank?

I used a hose and a metal strainer to clean mine. Some people say you can use tap water to clean it and others say you can't. But it won't be considered live sand anymore which isn't a big deal. With some time it will be again

Back
Top Bottom