live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StaceyL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am planning on using live sand when I set up my 12g Nano cube. Any suggestions on what kind to use?

The easiest route would be spending the $40 on a 20lb bag of "live sand" off of the self from the LFS. I do not generally recommend that stuff, but it is the right amount for a 12gal nanocube and would be pretty easy.

a cheeper route is to go to your local walmart and get a bag of playsand...take it home, take a pinch of it in your hand and drop vinegar on the pinch.....if it fizzes, then you got what you want....if it doesnt, then you have selica sand....(glass)..not to good for the siphoning fish..thats why some people dont use that type of sand with a dsb...but if you get the sand from walmart...I would test it..both types are okay sands to use its just the argonite(it fizzes) is better for a dsb....HTH :p

I wouldn't buy anything 'fish related' at Wal Mart. Not even supplies, as that runs your LFS out of business.

Anyhow, Wal Mart likely won't have the right kind of playsand in your region. Typically the only 'right' playsand is available in the northwestern area of the United States...everywhere else the playsand is the silica based junk.

I'd skip live sand and buy a 20lb bag of Carib Sea's Aragamax sand. Half the sand sold as 'live' isn't live anyways. However since you're in Florida, you might be able to get real live sand from a fish store, that wasn't pre-bag'd 6 months ago at some manufacturer's...but sand that the LFS employee's actually collected themselves.

Back
Top Bottom