Live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_fanatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 33 gallon tank and at the moment it has 20 lbs of live sand. would I be able to add another bag of live sand to this tank? the tank is completly cycled already. Will addition cause any spikes of any kind in my tank?

Thanks

Buy standard aquarium sand or get the aragnite sand from HD etc that was discussed in earlier threads. It will be much cheaper and your current sand will seed it accomplishing the same thing with much less $$$.

But adding a bag of live sand wount hurt? :lol: b/c I already bought it, the guys at the LFS said it should be no problem.

It should not hurt but remember your LFS is out to make money. You did not need any more live sand. Regular sand would have mixed with it and it all would have been live sand.

Well thanks for the input. I guess that just shows that I should do a little more research before buying anything :oops:

Okay, but here's two follow up questions:

1. When adding to the sandbed should you avoid burying your existing bacteria filled sand with new sand?

2. What is the best method for adding sand to an existing tank without creating a huge sandstorm?

Back
Top Bottom