Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have yet to do anything about the issue but it seems like the sand gets more brown and discolored by the minute! I have never seen something produce / grow / migrate so fast! Anyone seen this before and know whats up ? Levels were fine, i noticed i have a lot of air bubbles comming from the bottem of the tank and rising to the top from the sand, not sure if this is even relevant or not.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to ares
Do you have any type of cleanup crew for your sand bed currently?

Old 01-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Is this a new tank? Wondering if you've got diatom blooms that all new tanks get. Rocks brown too?

What and how much do you feed?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have no clean up crew at all. and yes all rocks in the tank are getting brown as well. I feed only enough for 3 fish to eat within 2 minutes so that not much falls to the ground. They are fed once every 12 hours. usually 4:07 pm and then again at 4:07 am as i have an automatic feeding system.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

I looked at pictures of diatom blooms and thats exactly what my tank looks like, but its covered! I'll vaccume the sand it will make it slightly better but then flair up within hours. Is it dangerous to the fish / parameters and or whats a cure?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you use phytoplankton? I had terrible issues with my sand bed until I stopped using this product. I was only using one drop every week and still had cyano. Stopped using it and sand bed cleared up with two water changes.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I dont think i use phytoplankton. Not sure if i indirectly placed something in there with it on it. I will look to see if i have chemicals that have them in it. I use Prime mainly.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

A few things...

Diatom blooms are pretty normal for new tanks. I doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong - it just means your tank is going through growing pains. Adding a cleanup crew of astrea and/or trochus snails will help as they'll eat the stuff up. Otherwise, they'll burn out over time.

Once your diatoms die off, you might have issues is you keep feeding every 12 hours. And especially if you're using an automatic feeder. If you're using an auto feeder, I don't see how you can tell whether or not you're overfeeding. If you're standing there watching, then why the auto feeder anyway? Many folks feed once every two days, with no obvious ill effects.

Also... phytoplankton is a type of food. I think if you were adding it, you'd know it. Why are you using Prime? Are you using it to treat tap water for use in the tank before it goes in?
Old 01-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Agreed. Feed once a day only. The diatoms will disappear as suddenly as they showed up. All new tanks get it.

Also, again - what are you feeding?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

"Okay great, Thank you for all of the great help. I am using prime to treat tap water which is what i use before i put it in the tank. I will have to cut back on the feeding then also to help.

Tags
live, live sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com