Live Sand Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdaccord03

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey whats up everybody!

I am building a refugium for my 55 gallon tank and I was wondering a few things.

My planned compartment for live sand is 5"x5"x12" (300 square inches). Is this a big enough live sand compartment?

Does calerpa need to be submerged to grow? I thought I noticed a lot of it had grown out of the water when I saw one for the first time.

Thanks for any advice, particularly about the size of the live sand compartment. It's not too late (but it would be costly) to make it 6"x5"x12".

Jim

How much live sand does everyone who runs a refugium have? What is the approximate dimensions of your LS compartment?

Jim

the bigger the better..... But if that all the room you have that will be fine. I would only add a few inches of LS and add LR rubble and caluerpa. Caluerpa needs to be in the water, it will grow along the surface but needs to be in the water.
Sawone for the first time??? Was that a mangrove you saw?
Caluerpa is just a seaweed .

You can use "normal" sand but use care to not get silica sand. Not good for burrowing invertebrates. Also, you'll need to seed that sand with live rock or some live sand or preferably both. Caulerpa IMO is a great nitrate reducer, though I've only used it for 2 months so no long term gaurantees.

Back
Top Bottom