Live Sand Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently bought a bad of ls to fill my refuge. I have had it open for the last couple of days and was wondering if it is still good to use. I was left opne and I wasnt sure if it was still usable. Also, if I put cc over the ls I have in the tank now will it make any difference besides looks (in terms of inverts walking on it)? TIA..........

Does the LS smell? I would think you might be good, since it just sits on the store's shelf. I would wait for a few more opinions.

Also, if I put cc over the ls

As soon as you clean the sand/CC, the sand will start sinking to the bottom and eventually, the top layer will CC. That will limit your soft bellied inverts/sand sifters, possibly. Of course, this all depends on how much CC you put in there compared to LS in there....

Did this live sand come in a bag from the LFS? Most of that stuff is only marginally alive by the time you get it anyway.

It's possible there has been some die-off from sitting out, but it's still good argonite sand. As long as you're not smothering a layer of live sand that's already in there, go ahead and use it. If this system already has fish or in it, you may want to add only a small portion each day, in case there's an ammonia buildup in the sand from a die-off.

If you want to make your sand really "live" you might order a detrivore kit to add to your sand.

CC can collect debris pretty easily, and increase your nitrate levels. Most people find they don't like CC and have to try to remove it later. It may also feel rather sharp to snails and other soft-bellied critters.

in case there's an ammonia buildup in the sand from a die-off.

DS, you think Squado could test the sand, possibly? At least the water that is still left in the bag?

I was just gonna add the cc because I liked the way it looked. I was only going to add a small layer on top of previous two inch sand bed that I had. If it is going to add nitrates, I think I might not do it because I have enough trate problems as is.

It won't add trates. You will have to vacuum the CC, to keep it looking clean, trust me I know.

Ok, so my invert list consists of snails, an urchin, and a CBS. I have a gravel vacuum so cleaning it would not be all that hard. Do these inverts fit the profile? I was either gonna add it tonight or return it for store credit. Is CC worth it or is it more of a pain?

Is CC worth it or is it more of a pain?

IMO/IME, it can be a pain. You could possibly try it in half the fuge, but then you really couldn't take it back to the LFS. I think there was a poll about CC vs LS vs. barebottom, somewhere on this forum.

Is the CC going in your main or fuge? I started mine w/CC and LS. I had to try to sift the sand out of the CC when I changed out my substrate. It did look good for a little while.....

Ok, so my invert list consists of snails, an urchin, and a CBS.

The snails might have a little bit of a problem, depending on what kind you get. Nassis like to stir the surface sand, in you case, they would not be able to since the CC would sit on the top. The urchin and CBS would be fine, but then you couldn't get any of these:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=1851

I'll see if I can find that poll, there are a lot of great posts, that might help you decide....

Back
Top Bottom