Live Sand questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterTeen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have about 70lbs of lr in my 55 gal, I want live sand but, Im currently using black tahitian moon sand from super naturals, how do I make it into live sand??? Also I have a big algae bloom, I think I added so much lr at a time, I added the 70lbs all in a few days, is that why I probably have algae? I might as well ask another question, I am planning on mixing my spirulina and green food flakes to little pink shrimp, little cod fillet, and clams, what vitamin is best to use? Thanks :)

how do I make it into live sand???

If the tanks been setup for more than a few months then the sand already is live. When you added the rock did you monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels? If you saw an ammonia increase from the rock then yes than the algae is a direct result of the rock bening added with out precuring it. The algae will receed as the food source for the algae goes away. You could also remove the rock and scrub the algae covered portions.

I've asked the vitamin question before, and Kent Marine Zoe seemed to be the most popular. I started using this about a month ago, and I'd swear my fish are more colorful and vibrant than ever, including my fw.

My lr has been cured, but the algae isnt just growing on the rock but some is on the sand and alot is on the walls :twisted: :twisted: Its a pain in the @$$ cleanin the glass Ive had the lr for about 2-3weeks

WOW. Eight fish and two anemones in a 55 gallon tank. That's quite a large bioload. The lawnmower blenny isn't keeping up? Maybe try some macroalgae for nutrient export to see if that helps. Do you have any nitrate?

Umm, yea I really need to do a wc, last time I checked I had 40 nitrates :( I did a 5 gallon wc I wouldve done a 25, but I dont have any oceanic salt left :|

lawnmower does eat alot, he is a little tubby, but it seems it grows too fast, also the algae has bubble, air bubbles, not bubble algae

40 nitrates I did a 5 gallon wc I wouldve done a 25, but I dont have any oceanic salt left

40 is deffinetly too high, but I would reccomend NOT doing a 25 gallon water change. Changing 25 gallons in a 55 gallon tank means you're replacing 50% of the water in the tank. That's going to be a drastic chemical shock to the fish as the levels of all the trace elements shift. I would reccomend doing a 10 gallon wc. And then another 10 wc a week later.

That aside, you're bioload is somewhat heavy for the tank in it's current state. This is what is causing your high nitrate levels. Your tank has not matured enough to handle that much life yet. If you can, I would try and return at least the 2 yellow tail damsels to the store. IMO, your tank is also too young for either of the anenomes. even if they "look" healthy now, anenomes are slow to signs of stress, and by the time stress is evident, it's often too late to save them.

You number one asset in having a successful SW tank, SaltwaterTeen, is going to be patience. And lots of it. You have to take things slow. You have to let your tank grow with you as you knowledge of the SW hobby grows. Stick with it, follow our advice, and you'll have a beautiful healthy tank for years.

40 is deffinetly too high, but I would reccomend NOT doing a 25 gallon water change. Changing 25 gallons in a 55 gallon tank means you're replacing 50% of the water in the tank. That's going to be a drastic chemical shock to the fish as the levels of all the trace elements shift. I would reccomend doing a 10 gallon wc. And then another 10 wc a week later.
I disagree slightly. I have changed 50% many times. Things look much healthier afterward. If you are looking to dilute the concentration of nitrate then 10% won't do anything. Lets say your at 40ppm nitrate. A 50% water change is only going to get you down to 20ppm. Another 50% will get you down to 10ppm and finally a third 50% will get you down to 5ppm.
Conversely a 10% water change will drop the nitrate 4ppm to 36. Another 10% will drop it 3.6ppm to about 32ppm. It'll take a lot of water changes to dent the nitrate concentration.
If you want to dilute toxins then many LARGE water changes is the only way. Of course natural methods like macroalgae or LR will reduce nitrate as well.

Back
Top Bottom