Live Shells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dotty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Do any of you keep live shells?
I have a few I've picked up with the rock I've collected.Plus some cowries I got recently.
Worried why they are climbing up and some out of the top of the tank?
Same with a star fish Moving towards the top of the tank.

I'm thinking my water may be too cold ~ 18°c

btw what do they eat?
I suspect they scoot around sucking algae but \o/ .I don't see much for them.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

dotty said:
I'm thinking my water may be too cold ~ 18°c
This will be a major part of the problem. The temp should be closer to 27°. Do not crank up the heater though, only 1-2° a day or the shock will kill the animals. What are the other parameters of the tank and how is it set up?

btw what do they eat?
I suspect they scoot around sucking algae but \o/ .I don't see much for them.
What species are they. Many will have similar food types but some are omnivors while others are very specific about the foods they eat.

BTW, I thought it was a no-no to collect anything from Australian waters?

Cheers
Steve

Thxs. I set my aquarium up before summer and had problems with the temperarure going to 30°c.( I can't afford a chiller.)Never thought I'd have a problem with getting too cold :/

My set-up is two 4' tanks connected at times.The bottom one has the skimmer so protein could be a problem as i realised I haven't had them running together for a while.(Need to get a full test kit.).Top one has a 1200l/hr cannister.

Not sure of the species I've got.I'll take some pics and post later.

As for collecting in Australia I'm sure it's okay as long as not in marine parks.

I would definately suggest getting the proper test kits at your earliest opportunity. It will definately aid in your success. As far as the heat goes, you could also try a few well placed fans. Having one blow over the sump or main tank will increase evaporation thereby cooling the tank. Also be sure the tank is not covered to allow easy flow of air.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom