live stock accountability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnowZz

Aquarium Advice Freak
well yesterday after doing my weekly PWC i noticed one of my hermits was missing. Then for about an hour or longer i searched and searched. (you ever start blaming the other creatures in your tank? YOU DID IT!) but this morning i found him, dead, out of his shell rotting. I knew he must of died there was a small ammonia spike last night on my test. Sad day, maybe he out grew his shell and didnt have another. Any suggestions on this? Do LFS sell just shells? Gonna check today as i buy more supplies.

I know alot of times craft stores sell them. Are sure this was not the molt. They will shed their skin and then hide for a few days till it hardens.

no i found his corse rotting on the bed, he was a goner... very camoflauged. i removed it and saw his red intennas and little claws. i still cant find his shell though

Molts look amazingly like the real thing. Antennas, claws, part of the back end of the body... they're all there. I wouldn't necessarily mark him as dead yet - especially if you can't find his shell.

o wow amazing, i never knew that! pretty cool. i just got back from the LFS, picked up a new nano power head, 3 mushrooms, some new carbon filter replacements and a timer for my light. I did the super glue gel method. It was actually fairly easy. Actually i have a question about pepermint shrimps. How dangerous can they be. He seems to be climbing on my leather cabage sometimes. is he just trying to pick something out. O get this too, i tested my LFS water for ammonia. 1.5 PPM, im mortified for the fishies in there.

He`s just looking for a bit of food lying around. I have a huge cabbage leather and everyone crawls on it.

Not to be mean or anything.. just saying.. But if you had cycled your tank, you wouldn't be having these ammonia spikes coming out of no where. It would have been smooth sailing, and those fish swimming in ammonia, will only cause problems further down the road, and will most likely be shortening their life spans. Clownfish may be hardy, but they're not invincible, and 1.5ppm of ammonia is really not good. For anything.

no that was the LFS's ammonia, mine is back to 0, it was up to like 0.02 ppm maybe the light on the vial looked bad. when i was dripping the mushrooms i decided to test the LFS water in the bag....funny story i threw the new shells in, one of the crabs took one already and its quite large for him. he looks funny

Yes, it's really cool :) My hermits molted this past week. My new larger shells will be delivered Tuesday so I can't wait to see how they do in them.

DSC_3463.jpg

Back
Top Bottom