Live water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeraljay

Aquarium Advice Regular
My LFS guy tried to sell me on live water. He siad it is the same idea as live rock. Is it worth it or a crock of horse S

LoL sounds like a crock to me.My lfs sells ro/di water for .50 and salt ro/di for $1.00.Btw how much did he say it cost?

we didnt get into price, he knows I am not goin to have my tank up for another 3 months so he was telling to get it when I start my cycle. I figured it was horse crap

He might be trying to sell you some swamp land in Florida next, be careful

Bacteria grows in objects like LR, glass, sand. It is not a free floating item that can be transfered in the water. Find a new LFS, this one is trying to take your money.
Ask him what makes it "live water" and where does he gets this "LW" from.

Snake oil..

And were is your LFS guy getting his information?
If its his distributor he might need some edumication.. :mrgreen:

Just out of curiosity...how much was it, how much do you get? It is time to find another LFS. The beneficial bacteria needed in a SW tank exists in the substrate and on LR. A very small amount is actually free-floating in the water collum. Sorry, there is no such thing as "live water". What a great marketing ploy. however.

Hi Everyone... Chiming in, I posted about this here some months back ... I'm in Florida and every LFS has it just about, Aqua Zoo was the 1st place that I saw it. It is about 14 bucks for the boxed bag of water, it's maybe 3 or 4 gallons?

They almost sold me on for the nano, because then DH could help on PWC with out mixing., just remove old and add new premixed and all the goodies it has listed. Reading the box and info sounds great, but I got scared and didn't want to risk it.

There are some people there who swear by it, customers as well. But I will still to the ole' power head and IO in a 5 gal bucket :)

It's only benefit may be in the way of conveince. I am sure you can buy premade SW from the LFS for far less then what they are charging for this "real" SW.

Lando,

hmmm... this is a little off the main post topic, but I was going to buy water from the 2 local fish stores when I had a child dump their dinner plate in my main tank, I went and prior to buying the water I asked if they ran copper in their system they said they did, always, both did... so I instead, set up 2x10 temp tanks with homemade IO water while I broke my main tank down...

I aksed them because someone mentioned it here, about copper being in a lot of LFS water... can you introduce other things to our home tanks from their water as well? Ick? Or does that have to have a host 24/7... Just curious... What do you need to ask about buying water from the LFS, or do I need to find one that offers RO sw water made to sell?

In general, it is not good practice to introduce any water from the LFS that comes from their livestock tanks. the water in the bags that comes home with new fish etc, should NOT be dumped into the tanks for various reasons (meds, disease, high in NH3 from the transport). You can buy mixed SW from the LFS providing it comes from clean mixing tanks and has not been introduced into the "general poplation".

I see, thanks!

The 2 lfs I went to do not mix clean fresh sw, they have everything all plumbed together into one huge unit, and they sell that water, it's not even new clean water, they call it nice & aged LOL, not the good bacteria I want I'm sure... ewwwwwww right?

Our local Petco sells natural seawater for $10 a gallon. Naturesocean brand, I think but wouldn't swear by it. They had a big pallet of it sitting in the floor so I suppose someone buys it or they wouldn't have it in stock.

Seemed rather "fishy" to me.

That is the one we were talking about. They come in 2.2 gal and 4.4 gal containers. I don't know why they come in such strange amounts. I don't trust it either.

Back
Top Bottom