Liverock cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Massimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'll be buying liverock for my tank. About 50 pounds of liverock that's been in this guys tank for 2 years. Will my cycle be short since I'm using only liverock that's already been established for a long time? If there is die off, I have Tim's one and only bacteria to get rid of the remaining ammonia

As long as the rock is kept wet there should be a very minimal amount of die off from the rock and the cycle should be over very very quickly.

Your cycle should be done in a week or so assuming no major die-off. Just test daily, and once your readings are good for about 3 or 4 consecutive days, I'd say you're done. (Some say the 3-4 day thing is excessive. I prefer to call it an abundance of caution.)

Actually, you shouldn't have any cycle if you transport the rock submerged in water and it's not over heated or cooled during the trip. the only thing you should see is a diatom bloom on the new surfaces.
Are you adding this rock to other rock or will this be your only rock? What size tank?

I would forget about the Tim's additive. If there is ammonia from a possible mini cycle, it wont help fix the die off problem. It will only mask the problem by ridding you of the ammonia. If there is a mini cycle, let it go until it does its thing. But I tend to agree with Doug here, probably no cycle. It moved well over 120lbs of LR and a tank. LR stayed in coolers full of water for a FEW days with a heater but no water movement. Once the tank was cleaned and set up, sand, rocks and water went in. Almost no cycle. Well hit 0.25 for 1 day then right to 0.

Okay thanks for the advice guys, but unfortunately I won't be getting the liverock anymore. I'll be buying 40 pounds of dry rock!

Back
Top Bottom