Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2004, 07:11 PM   #1

LiveRock Positioning

I wanted to take a survey of how people set there LR up. Do you guys tend to leave space behind the tank for fish to swim or do you keep the LR as far back as possible?
Old 12-22-2004, 07:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I leave space so that the fish can swim in and out of the arches...and if I had the luxury of putting the fish tank in the wall, which I eventually want to do, I would add corals on the other side as well. Being that no one can see back there, all the corals are on one side.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 07:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do a poll about it. Not sure yet. Probably against the wall with arshes in the middle, I guess.
The Coral: zoos, kenya trees, shrooms, leathers, hammer, and star polyps
The Inverts: LT anemone, pistol shrimp, urchins, etc.
The Janitors: nassarius snails, turbos, hermits, several brittle and serpent stars
The Rock: 68# of Keys-12# Base Rock; from LR.com
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 08:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have lots of swimming room, caves and tunnels, but you will need to rest some of it against the back for support.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

In the midle of the tank.

I don't have enything within 1.5 inches of the glass for cleaning reasons. But that is because my tank is in the middle of the room and i can see al four sides.
swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Dewey
I was allways told to place rock tight together as possable. To help so there is not dead spot in water motion.

Dewey
Old 12-23-2004, 10:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In my tank, the live rock is against the back glass and is pretty much solid all the way until about 2" from the front glass. A powerhead is under it circulating the water through the rocks.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:48 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Mine leans against the back wall. The fish can still go back there to hide and sleep though. I just left space for my cleaning magnet on the sides. Of course, there's plenty of sand out front. That's their rec room space. 8)

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:48 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have my rock positioned in a bow. It touches the mega-flow chambers on my 120 for support. In the middle however there is a good 6 inches of space.

I've only got 7 chromis but they do swim in and around the rocks when I'm working around the tank.

I don't have a top down view but that should give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
I have a 60 and most of my rock is against the back of the glass. but there's enough room even for my Power Blue to get back there...

Tags
live, liverock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com