Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-29-2005, 10:29 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
I didn't know it was safe to get a clean up crew while my tank just had live rock added?

If it is safe i'll pop down the road and get some hermits and snails.

Roughly how much would i need to spend on a cleanup crew not including the shrimp caus' arnt they expensive?

midol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:32 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
What size tank do you have and how much LR?

On a related topic:
how old is the tank?

cleanup crew depends on the tank

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:41 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
75 Gal and only $100 worth, i'm not sure how much or how much i paid per kilo yet because within a week or two i will be getting around another $300, i just didn't want to plan on adding more LR till i figured out if this was normal.

Tank has had water in it since April and had cycled once then this live rock tipped my ammonia up a bit. (Got some LR when i got my lights just so i had something to look at while i saved for the rest of the LR)
midol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
ahhh ok 75 gallon.

I would get 20 snails and 20 hermits and go from there. just add more to the cleanup crew until things get clean. add a few and wait a few days, add a few more......

Your amonia is going to go up everytime you add live rock from all the die off. Maybe you could buy pre-cured live rock next time or cure it yourself in a bucket or something. you'll still have die off from precured rock but nothing monumental
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
Plus a clean up crew will give you something to look at besides rocks and water

At my lfs, small hermits (blue legged, scarlet legged, etc.) and snails are $1.25 USD each. (Don't know what the difference is in Australian money) The hermits are amusing to me and do an excellent job of cleaning up, I plan on getting about 12 more.

I wanted to get 2 cleaner shrimp until I found out that they were $24. So I got 1. But in this SW hobby, really nothing is cheap.
I'm not addicted... I can quit when ever I want...Wait...I'll just LOOK at the fish.

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:51 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular
guys if you want a good deal on snails and crabs try reeftopia.com let me know if you think their prices are pretty good especially if you have someone local who can go halves... me and my friend did and for about $75 bucks each we got 36 nasarrius snails 150 small blue legs, 24 cerith, 36 astreas, 4 peppermint shrimp (which my stupid goby ate my two for lunch) and 4 emerald crabs.==150.00

local fish store comparison: 150 bluelegs-133.50, 24 ceriths-23.76, 36astreas-35.64, 4 pep shrimp-19.96, and 4 emeralds-27.96 grand total==240.82.

free shipping if you buy the reeftopia packages==priceless

i know cheap spin on the visa commercials

10 gal fw
1 jack dempsey
1 convict
1 pleco

72 gal bowfront
seaclone 150
4 x 65 watt coralife pc
hagen aquaclear 901 in tank
via aqua 3500 with scwd return from wet/dry
160 lbs live rock
40lbs combination sugarsized sand and crushed coral
1 feather dusters
2 emerald crabs
75 hermits scarlet and blue leg
20 turbo snails
3 large brittle stars
2 toadstools
1 colt coral
3 different zoanthid colonies
1 green finger leather, and cabbage leather
1 green starburst
4 different mushrooms
1 large anemone
2 cleaner shrimp
1 6 line wrasse
2 pajama cardinal
1 rock skipping blenny (very cool if you like sadists)
2 percula clown
1 engineer goby
1 scooter blenny

rockkfish is offline   Reply With Quote

live, liverock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com