liverocks.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dayna

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey just a question,

i hear everyone on here praising the rock from liverocks.com and just wonering if i order from them do i have to cure the rock myself? or does it already come cured?

thanks.

It is cured already but some die off will occur due to shipping. You will need to cure the rock but it should be for a very short period of time.

The aquacultured LR from liverock.com is NOT CURED! Their rock is harvested & placed in holding tanks.
In my 2 experiences, you will not cycle but will have a small NH3 & NO2 spike for a day or two if placed in a well established tank. In my other scenerio, if placed in a new tank, then you will go through a full cycle but at a much shorter timeframe than a traditional cycle. (about 2 weeks)

IMO, you will get die off from ANY kind of rock if it is shipped to you because of the organisms being out of the water for the shipping period.

It should be cured in a separate vessel before being put into your display.

hmm okay, cause i dont think i can cure it myself. i'm too much of a chicken to pull out wormies and shrimpies. haha

Dayna said:
hmm okay, cause i dont think i can cure it myself. i'm too much of a chicken to pull out wormies and shrimpies. haha

It's really not that difficult, read this article on >>Curing LR<<

The easiest way to rid the rock of unwanted hitchickers is to mix up some seltzer water to the correct SG and dunk the rock in there. The crabs/shrimp etc will botl out of the rock. Worms and many other critter in LR are very beneficial to your tank so you don't want to remove everything.

Winnipeg, Canada

As this company is based in FL, I think you might have a problem with getting it flow in to canada, they may require quarantine or some other details we don't know. If your going to have it delivered in the States and then carry it to Canada you might be OK.

does anybody have any experience with the "coral rock" liverocks.com offers? it says in the description that it has "multiple coral colonies", but at the price it is offered at i must say i am skeptical. feedback would be appreciated!

I have seen the coral rock and i must say it is not worth the money if you ask me. I have some of it that was given to me and i like the ROCK but i wouldn't pay what they want for it. Not that impresive.

I have some of their coral rock. The coral colonies are Lesser Star Coral,
Sideratrea radians. Since I asked for small softball sized pieces, there were mostly single coral attachments though some had two. Lots of clams and aiptasia on the rocks.....
Here's a link to a post I had with pics of the rocks. Mind you that this is a mix of 10 lbs of Gulf rock & 10 lbs of Coral rock. Look at the last pic, that should give you an idea of what the coral rock looks like and also the type of coral that is attached to the rock.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=18244

Back
Top Bottom