Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2004, 03:46 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
If you are starting a new tank, there is no need to cure the rock in a separate container, just put it in the tank. This is the best thing to do for the rock and everything that is struggling to stay alive on it.
Yes, I agree with this too. It is probably better for the rock and easier to do the tank set-up this way. KFEdaddy2k didn't say if his wife is sensitive/allergic to the odors, or just doesn't like them. I'm asthmatic and the slightest smell can cause an attack. That's why I'm not going to take a chance with putting uncured rock (even rock with minimal die-off) in the display tank in the living room. If you're not horribly sensitive to odors like I am, then the "cure" smells probably won't be a big deal.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 12:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

No, no sensitivity here. Other than the evil eye and cold shoulder reaction I'll get.

It's more of a patience thing, she doesn't understand that a couple days of odor will result in a beautiful "piece of living art" full of interesting marine life.

I'm pretty sure things will be alright, I'm exagerating mostly.

Thanks for everyone's input, you have helped to ease my mind on the matter.
Kurt

Old 06-25-2004, 12:23 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmy2cents
I don't recommend this. My last rock I didn't even dip, sure I have some crabs to dispose of and I have at least 1 shrimp, don't know if it's a mantis or a pistol it was about 1/2 inch long. But the carbonated dip didn't do well on my 1st order of rock. I thought it did good but I saw alot of stuff that died that should not have.
You have to make sure the salinity matches your new tank, and the temperature needs to be reasonably the same. I had great success with it and no real noticable die off.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You have to make sure the salinity matches your new tank, and the temperature needs to be reasonably the same. I had great success with it and no real noticable die off.

My sg was the same. I guess everybody has different exp. with this.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 10:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
Smell = death, death = bad water.

I added 100 lbs of liverocks .com rock to my tank the day it arrived, it smelled like most any rock or decoration that I would take out of my tank to clean (not necessarily appealing, but not pungent) I had a mild spike of nitrate, but one 20% water change later all levels are at least as good as they were before the rock, and most are better!!!

Take the time to pick dead stuff off the rocks before you put it in the tank, otherwise IMO lr.com rocks can go straight in. Monitor your levels closely for the next few days and be prepared for a water change.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I just wanted to update everyone with my experience. I received my LR today from liverocks.com and just as everyone has said, I am more than thrilled with the rocks I got. 20 lbs is more than I thought, and all the rocks I got were beautifully covered with coralline (sp?) algae and all sorts of life. I only had time to look for a few minutes when I ran home to put the rock in my tank (had them shipped to work), so I'm anxious to get home tonight and look some more. I did see a few crabs, and pencil urchin (sp?), what looked like a tiny bristle star, and even a couple nudibranches. One nudi was of pretty good size, maybe 3/4 to 1 inch in length. Unfortunately he was attached to the paper towel the rocks were shipped in and upon removing the rocks from the shipping container and removing the paper towels I think he got injured. He didn't look so good when I left the house this afternoon. I'll check on him when I get home.

As far as the smell goes, I didn't smell anything other than salt. In fact I had a cocktail shrimp in the tank for the last few days trying to get my cycle started and I had to remove it because I started to get a slight (very slight) odor in the tank last night. So in all reality the single shrimp smelled worse than the live rock did.

I 100% recommend LR.com, they live up to their reputation.

Kurt
Old 06-29-2004, 07:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Glad to hear everything went well
Old 06-29-2004, 10:25 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear it!

Tags
live, rock, smell

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com