Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-24-2004, 11:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Liverocks.com, any bad smells?

I'm getting ready to buy 20 lbs of keys rock from Liverocks.com. I've been reading here on the forum and I've seen a few post talking about the bad smell of the rocks they received from liverocks. Is this typical (the smell for a few days) when ordering LR on-line, or does it have more to do with what the buyer does with the rock when they receive it (try to cure it in a rubermaid container, etc.)?

I'm concerned with the smell, more so because of my wife. If any part of this hobby get a foul odor right off the bat, that'll be the end of it. I vaguely remember the time I took up home-brew beer, that was a pretty short lived hobby.

FYI, I have a 29 gal tank, it's been running for a week. There is nothing in it except for sand, wet/dry filter, heater, and a PH. It's "brand new".

Thanks for your help,
Kurt

Old 06-24-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got 140# of LR.com rock. I bought it @ three different time any everytime it had no "bad" smell. It did have an ocean smell. And produced no nh3 spike at all. It's good stuff.

Old 06-24-2004, 11:44 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It has an odor out of the box, but not once you get it in the tank. No worries. Tell her to go shopping for a couple of hours while you unbox it. I recommend a Carbonated Water dip to get rid of any undesirables (ie: Mantis Shrimp, Black Clawed Crabs, Red Crabs).
Old 06-24-2004, 02:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

wow, she complained about homebrew smells? true, a boiling wort with hop pellets is a little pungent...but I think the live rock smell will be 10x stronger.
however I heard that liverocks.com stuff is shipped so well, that the curing process is very short and mild.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
but I think the live rock smell will be 10x stronger
Great, 10x stronger? Any AA members offering divorce service at a discount?

So let me get this right, if I order liverocks.com, and put it directly into my new tank as soon as it arrives, there should be minimal (if any) foul odor. Right? Sure, that's assuming that shipping goes OK and all.

Bearfan, I'll look into the carbonated water dip, that's a new one for me. Sound promising though.

Thanks,
Kurt
Old 06-24-2004, 04:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So let me get this right, if I order liverocks.com, and put it directly into my new tank as soon as it arrives, there should be minimal (if any) foul odor. Right? Sure, that's assuming that shipping goes OK and all.
Yes this is true, when you take the rock out of the box look at it and see if you see anything dead or dieing, if so get it off and it wil cut down on your "smell"
That being said, I have ordered twice from lr.com and never had a problem with either order.

Quote:
I'll look into the carbonated water dip, that's a new one for me. Sound promising though.
I don't recommend this. My last rock I didn't even dip, sure I have some crabs to dispose of and I have at least 1 shrimp, don't know if it's a mantis or a pistol it was about 1/2 inch long. But the carbonated dip didn't do well on my 1st order of rock. I thought it did good but I saw alot of stuff that died that should not have.

HTH

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

if you dont do the "dip" how do you know if you will get a mantis shrimp? Do you just listen for any "popping" noises prior to adding the rocks to the aquarium?
3x penguin 1140 ph
2x65 10,000K and 2x65 03 Acintic
40lbs cc/30lbs argonite sand mixture
80lbs keys rock (www.liverocks.com awesome stuff)
25lbs fiji/tonga lr
10lbs lace base rock (now hapily live with lots of coraline growth)
lziarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I set the last batch up it was in a "temp" tank. No fish just rock and ls. I wasn't worried about a mantis yet. The ones that worry me are the small "standard" crabs. The ones with the big claws. I saw 1 of those, I have to get it out but not yet.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 05:47 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I am researching to set up a SW tank. (it may not happen this summer, though )

I have heard (read here) that as the rock cures, it will have a smell. Once it's cured, it will be fine. I plan to cycle the rock in the garage, in a new rubbermaid container or a garbage can. If I don't do it this summer, it will have to wait till next summer, because where I live, the winters get too cold to try to cycle in the garage, even with a heater in the curing container. I've also smelled fully cured and set-up SW tanks, and they have no smell. If you can, cycle the rock in another area (not in the living room!) and then when you set the tank up, all the smell will be gone.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 02:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think that the point is that the LR.com rock comes from Ocean to you so fast that there is minimal die off on the rock...and therefore minimal curing required...

If you are starting a new tank, there is no need to cure the rock in a separate container, just put it in the tank. This is the best thing to do for the rock and everything that is struggling to stay alive on it. Even better if your new tank already has some filtration that has been running for a while.

If you have an existing tank with lots of sensitive life in it, that is a very different situation entirely. Adding the rock directly to the tank my shock some of that life.

The rock has just made a long trip. It needs immediate TLC. Give it the best environment for survival as soon as possible. Once all the life on the rock has recovered.... then you can pull it out of the aquarium for a few minutes to dip it and try to get certain critters off/out.

Tags
live, rock, smell

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com