Liverocks.com Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pudge

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 32 pounds of live rock in my 55 gal tank I am thinking about getting 25 more pounds of live rock. I see you guys live by liverocks.com my question is which rock to order. They both look ok but which one tends to get more bad hitchhikers? My other rock is Fiji and Marshall Island so which one will look ok with my live rock i already have.

The gulf has most of the good/bad hitch hikers, corals, feather dusters, stars etc. The keys is .....uh purple.

Keys will have some hitchhikers, some possibly 'bad'. Gulf rock has a lot more hitchhikers, so a greater potential for additional 'bad' ones.

and the keys rock is prettier :)

So i take the chance of getting a few bad hitchhikers and take the better rock. Which one is better for the rock of a reef aquarium? Whats the worst hitchhiker anybody has gotten from liverocks.com?

You're going to get a mix of HH no matter which you choose. I liked the Keys better also. "Prettier" rock with fewer total HH.

My wackiest HH was a eunicide worm. 14" when we pulled him from the rock. EEek! I also got 2 cool bristle worms (that proceeded to eat my mushroom and be banned to the sump), some red mythrax crabs (that I gave to a fellow reefer) LOTS of porcelain crabs (these are way good), feather dusters, aptasia (just a few and my peppermint took care of their demise)... Some other miscellaneous stuff. And this wild crab I have now. He's about the size of a golf ball. I can't get a good picture of him since he hides in a cave that is really hard to photograph. He hasn't killed anything yet and I think he's bigger than some of my FISH! My peppermint hangs out in the same cave with him!

Both types of rock are similar in shape. The keys rock is aquacultured, which is why it ends up prettier, but since it's younger, has fewer HH's.
I ended up with a mantis shrimp (I think, never did find him, just heard him) but he's gone now...probably taken out by one of my HH'ing crabs (mythrax and porcelin came on my keys).

really with almost any rock you have a chance for a mantis. it was my own fault for not doing a hyposalinity dip to flush them out.

Go with the keys rock from liverocks.com, its great. Lots of color! Had a few hitchhikers in mine too. Nothing I couldn't handle. Got a small sea star in it, but haven't seen him in a long time. I remember reading on here about someone that got a small octopus in there rock. But thats very rare. I also remember hearing that the mantis shrimp from the keys are not the bad ones. I wouldn't worry about them. The liverocks.com rocks are shipped wet and you can put them directly into your display tank without additional cureing.

most of their rock is considered "keys"

they have three vats that they keep rocks in , and they are pretty well mixed in there.

It just depends if you have to have rocks 90% covered in coraline. you will get a large amount of life from either the keys or gulf.

awesome either way.

I got the Keys rock too and then the same amount of Hirock.com base rock, within one months time it was getting corraline all over it (The base rock). It has been completely covered now, all of my rocks. My tank is one big sea of purple due to the rocks. Good rock. I think a lot of it has to do with the keys rocks being so purple. Also I gave my husband two rocks that I had from hirocks and had been established from all the other rock. He put it with all base rock where it is visable from all sides. They are COVERED in sponges (pink,purples,oranges, creams and yellow), corraline, spagetti worms...so many copeopods that the two small rocks FILLED his sand bed and rocks with them and I am sure there is more but it's what i noticed. It started out dead rock the keys rock seeded it, now it's seeding his. GOOD ROCK! I DO recommend some sort of dip though as there are a lot of fireworms in them and the big ones have a taste for soft corals.

Back
Top Bottom