Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-01-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
livestock for sump/Fuge

anyone have a reccomendation for what livestock I can/should put in my sump/fuge?

I have LR rubble in the first baffle, and a DSB fuge in another.

I was thinking about a couple of hermit crabs in the LR baffle and some snails in the fuge.

What kind of snails would be best for the Fuge? Keep the DSB clean?

Should I put any crabs in the fuge? I am afraid they might go after the snails and/or eat the Cheato? Thoughts?

Also, how do I keep them from crawling out (crabs or snails?)

good11s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
on thetop of the baffles if you cut 1/2 inch it helps prevent snails from cruising over the baffle. They sell detrivore kits at inland aquatics http://www.inlandaquatics.com/prod/prod_detrit.html That bring some life to the deep sand bed. Add some sand sifting snails such as the nassarius snail and your ready to roll.

120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I didnt think about the detrivore kit for the DSB in the fuge.

Has anyone else had luck with the addition of a kit like this for their DSB?
good11s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
When I first started my fuge I didnt add any livestock to it and had no plans to. But since I have had to banish a CC star and a crab to it. You really dont need anything in there. Just save it for someone that is bad.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Unless you have to put something in the fuge, I would not add any predators like crabs, hermit crabs, etc. You want your fuge to contain as much of the beneficial fauna found on live rock and live sand as possible. Things such as pods, bristle worms, mini stars, and sponges, should be allowed to inhabit and reproduce with out being preyed upon for the best results. Having said that, some nassarius snails would help maintain the sand bed, bristle worms also do a great job at this in fuges. FWIW I never added anything but live rock and cheato to my fuge and it's crawling w/ all sorts of critters in there now. A good detrivore kit may help speed the process though.
MT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked up some cheato on ebay and it turned out to be full of life. Pods and stars all over the place. Be patient though, they did not show themselves for quite a while. The only addition that I could suggest based on my small experience is a few turbo snails. My fuge got so overgrown with algae on the glass that you could not even see inside. The turbos fixed that in a day or two and keep things crystal clear now. I like the idea of keeping the refugium true to it's name. A safe haven for all things edible.

"...but the guy at the LFS said I needed it!"
SparKy697 is offline   Reply With Quote

live, livestock, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com