Lobophyllia Coral Placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Where do you place your Lobophyllia coral?

• Top/upper part of the tank

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bottom/lower part of the tank

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NicoC16

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently purchased a lobo frag from my lfs (the picture is from the store) and am debating on where to place it. Upon searching the internet, I have received many differing opinions based on the color and species of the given lobo. Most people seem to agree that it is a low light and low to moderate water flow coral. However, some people claim their coral died because it wasn't receiving moderate to high lighting and moderate water flow. I was planning on placing it on the sand bed (away from other coral, so as to not sting them) and slowly move it upwards in my tank if the coral deems necessary. I have one Radion XR15w pro light mounted above my tank that is running at 40% intensity. My tank is about 18 inches deep so I think there is sufficient PAR on the sand bed to have it thrive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20160723_133413.jpg
    20160723_133413.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 408
Do you feed your Lobos, and if so what do you feed them?

Once a week I will coral frenzy and then spot feed Mysis shrimp when their feeder tentacles are out. I mostly feed because I have Sun Coral, but usually feed anything that is "eating".

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have used coral frenzy to feed my current LPS corals. I'll give that a try. Also, I am feeding Red Sea's Reef Energy A & B which seems to be accelerating growth quite a bit.

I put mine on the sand bed. I have never target fed mine in the 17 years I have had mine.

6218-albums4401-picture22758.jpg

6218-albums8410-picture32396.jpg

Wow, congratulations on being successful for that long with your reef aquarium. I placed my frag in the sand and it seems to really like it. Are Lobos a particularly slow growing coral or can they grow quickly under the right conditions?

I would say slow compared to other corals. My hammers would grow more and faster.

Back
Top Bottom