Lobster relocating advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I misread your post at first. Lobsters can be kept in pretty primitive conditions. The tomato clown will be really aggressive so be prepared for that. They also get pretty big. They are cool for a damsel, but all the ones I have had we're a pain.

I have an 8" grouper so I don't really think it'll be an issue lol. Also a 1.5' eel. So the lobster should leave the new fish alone after 3 weeks in the tank? Sorry just really want to make sure and I don't want to kill fish.

If you like lobsters, try a reef lobster. They rarely get bigger than 5" where most varieties of spiny lobsters get over a foot long. And the size of the tank doesn't seem to slow their growth down at all.

I would agree with this. I`ve had one for 7+ yrs now and they have never bothered my fish or corals. But if you are getting him so to be a showpiece for the tank forget about it as I`ve seen mine 7-8 times in the last 7+yrs.

crister13 said:
I have an 8" grouper so I don't really think it'll be an issue lol. Also a 1.5' eel. So the lobster should leave the new fish alone after 3 weeks in the tank? Sorry just really want to make sure and I don't want to kill fish.

There isn't any way to be sure he won't kill the clown. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. On the one hand he doesn't kill established fish, but he does kill fish. Any way you approach the problem will come with the chance that you'll loose a fish.

Size may be another factor. He may not be killing the eel and grouper because they're so large. Add the biggest tomato you can find. Another thing you could consider would be *gasp* to cut off the end of his pincers before you reintroduce him to the tank. He'll still be able to feed but won't be able to kill until he molts. By that time he may be used to his new fish neighbors. It may be cruel but it's less cruel than letting him kill the fish and in the end he'll regrow his weapons.

They don't have pincers. He's killed a 5" tang so size isn't the problem. It's that it's in his territory. I'll try to move him for awhile and love him back. I think it'll work. An also I have a 4" trigger that sleeps in the rocks that he doesn't bother. He's pretty stupid so he shouldn't remember his territory. LOL

crister13 said:
They don't have pincers. He's killed a 5" tang so size isn't the problem. It's that it's in his territory. I'll try to move him for awhile and love him back. I think it'll work. An also I have a 4" trigger that sleeps in the rocks that he doesn't bother. He's pretty stupid so he shouldn't remember his territory. LOL

That trigger fish must be fat and lazy, because he has the ability to disassemble that lobster like a tinker toy.

Back
Top Bottom