location, location, location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pelochas

Aquarium Advice Activist
75 gallon tank

what should i look on where to place this tank? what are the cons and pros?

living room:
a bit full but it may be just enough space for the tank.
my family always hanging around watching the big TV
my 2 kids kids constantly running around and jumping on the sofas.
i like to place it there because the view of it will be nice.
also have easy access to backyard for water changes
wood flooring

my computer office room
have space but has carpet, is this a problem?
a lot of windows, lots of sunshine during mornings and day
the warmest room of the house, AC has little affect to this area
very quiet
not easy access to outside exept the windows, with carpet, i dont want to make mistakes or accidents with water changes

my garage
lots of space, concrete flooring
no ventilation, very hot
easy access

Houston, TX weather, very HUMID and very HOT.

any help is greatly appreciated

pelochas

put it in the living room. that way you will see it everyday and be able to observe it more closely. as for the kids in the living room... this would be a good opportunity to teach them some respect and responsibility. plus, since you seem to be hanging out there, it would be the best place, in my opinion, to place a tank... why would you want to put it somewhere else, where you dont spend a lot of time.

the garage will be a terrible place. there are too many things that can contaminate the water, plus the lack of hvac will give you evaporation nightmares in the summer and probably run your heater constantly in the winter nights.

the computer room would be okay also, but you might not be in there everyday to observe the tank. carpet is okay, so long as you have a sturdy floor below it.

~mike

garage is out unless you want to spend alot of money for a chiller. I would be concerned about the effect saltwater will have on the hardwood flooring. My tanks that are on the carpeted areas do not seem to have much impact on the carpet. The big tanks are on tile and even after washing the floors, the tile is more dull around the tanks which I put to the salt. I would like the peace and quiet of the computer room vs kids running around the tank and just making it less serene. (but I don't do kids very well anyway) As far as the heat in the computer room, for 100. or less you could get a small window unit to help with that.

These are just my opinions and of course, your views on things will not be the same....good luck picking a spot!

Well I have my saltwater m29 gallon in my room and when doing water changes the water gets on my carpet and it makes it stink. If I had my choice I would definitely put it on a hardwood floor. Go living room 0X

Say no to rugs. I have installed carpet for going on twenty years and they do not make it with the possibility (and probability in this case) of ever having saltwater make contact with it. It will ruin your carpet, and no the installers wont move your tank when its time to replace the carpet.

Wood would be better and ceramic tile is the only no lose situation.

i wish the computer room floor was tile but it is a distant future room for my son. i dont want to stink up to room and later hand it down to him.

hardwood floor is easier to clean plus with enough protection and clean up i should be able to keep the floor shiny.

thanks for the help, that takes care of one question and/or opinion. i have many to go.

pelochas :)

I have a 29 and a 55 in my living room. the 29 is on a stand and the 55 sits underneath our breakfast bar on a carpeted ledge. The 55 is visable from the kitchen and living room. I think we watch the fish more then the television. Now if I can get one of them there awsome plasma televisions hung on the wall, I could put a 120g where the entertainment center is. Is this stuff addicting or what??? 8O

Liz

Back
Top Bottom