LOL!!!! Watch this!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I seriously just entertained my entire office showing them those videos and explaining what a mantis shrimp is!
Now they are convinced I should get one....lol
Thanks for the great video

FishFrik said:
The one that you all saw is in a 10G tank. Total cost of that tank was $75, including filtration, LR, the shrimp, etc.

Well, the shrimp in that video is a peacock mantis and no disrespect to your friend, but it really should be in a bigger tank than a 10 gallon. They average around 6" and max out around 8". I've got a 5 1/2 incher in a 20 gallon acrylic and after seeing him wonder around and digging up his burrow, I can't imagine him in anything smaller.

10 gallon tanks also have pretty thin glass. This guy would have no problem cracking a 10 gallon glass tank with his fully grown smashers.

When it comes to mantis tanks, you can skimp on a lot of things because they are so hardy. Mine is in a tank without filtration. It's so easy to do a water change on a 20 gallon tank. I've got a powerhead and a bunch of live rock and he's doing fine . . . but, I wouldn't keep a peacock in anything smaller than a 20 gallon acrylic tank, unless he's tiny and you expect to upgrade.

It's my favorite fish (well, aquatic pet) that I've ever owned. The price of a 20 g acrylic is well worth it. I watch him more than anything in my 110g show tank.

Check out the mantis forum on RC for info on smaller species.

- Skins

Back
Top Bottom