Long Horned Cow Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rndy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Saw this fish in my LFS today and was completely amazing about this animal. Could anyone tell me a little about it?

Attachments

• image-3703137943.jpg
    image-3703137943.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 184
Cowfish also release a toxin when they are stressed. Best if kept in a species tank.

They are adorable fish with a lot of personality, but as others have mentioned they do have their drawbacks. Other than the eventual 1' length, they are slow/awkward swimmers with fluttery movements that even chromis will pick on. Larger fish such as anthias or tangs can send them spinning in circles when juvenile. They will eat just about anything you throw at them so feeding shouldn't be a problem (deworm them). Unfortunately this animal does release a nonprotein poison, ostracitoxin, when stressed and has shown to decimate a tank (needs peaceful tankmates).

I wont be getting one for my tank but I thought it was so interesting. It was so amazing that maybe later I'll get one.
Thank you guys!

Anyone know how this toxin works? Ive always been interested if it could be harmful to people also. Never have seen any info on the subject of toxicity to humans and/or how it would enter the body?

ostracitoxin shouldn't affect humans unless consumed as far as I know.

Edit* most venom or poisons can affect the body if there is an open vessel such as cuts, lacerations, etc. where added infections can set in.

Last edited:
ThAnks both of you, ill check out that link. I dont know why i just think it would be super cool if the toxin were deadly to humans lol. I know im kinda sick.

Schism said:
ThAnks both of you, ill check out that link. I dont know why i just think it would be super cool if the toxin were deadly to humans lol. I know im kinda sick.

Not sick, more of that manly factor. My large fish only has a antenata lion, foxface lo (venomous), and eel. I get pumped every time I have to stick my hand in there haha.

Readingexcalibur said:
Not sick, more of that manly factor. My large fish only has a antenata lion, foxface lo (venomous), and eel. I get pumped every time I have to stick my hand in there haha.

Lol nice

I have a snowflake eel, no I haven't been bitten because I'm not crazy enough to hand feed him. I feed him with an acrylic pole. When he misses the food, he bights the pole and I can tell he has strength. I don't want to imagine my fingers on the other end.

FYI, his jaw cracks the plastic of the serving stick.

Here ya go!!!!

Attachments

• image-3432754282.jpg
    image-3432754282.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 82
  • image-3850646516.jpg
    image-3850646516.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 80
  • image-2870104523.jpg
    image-2870104523.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 76
Wow, yeah, be careful with him. Eels don't just strike their food, they keep going past the food. Awesome in the saltwater world, but as aquarist, we have our work cut out with them!

Back
Top Bottom