Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2005, 05:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Long-Nosed Butterfly?

I have a 65 gal. FOWLR system. I have two tank raised O. Clowns, one Firefish, and one cleaner shrimp. I was wondering about the Long-nosed or maybe the Threadfin. I think may be the Threadfin will get to big. Can ya'll give me the pros and cons of both species? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2005, 12:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
I absolutely had no luck with butterflies.. i kept two long nose butterflies.. a nice addition to the tank.. will tend to nip at corals and not invertebrate safe..! a 65 gal is a fair size for a fish like that.. but yeh u have a invertebrate in the tank so i'd watch out..!

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 11:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Not sure about that longnosed, but I wanted to chime in about Bflies. A really common and underrated butterfly is the lemon or millet seed butterfly. It is often in fish stores with good size going for less then $20.00 They are long lived, super hardy and if fed properly they have really cool coloration. They also have the same shape and temperment as an expensive cousin the Tinkeri Bfly. Just my 2cents if you are thinking about an addition in that family.
9 Watt UV Ster.
100lbs. Live Rock (Fiji,Tonga Br)
125lbs. Aragonite Base
Maculosus Angel~Yellow Tang~Flame Hawk~Canary Blenny~Pajama Cardinal~Bl Yel Tl Damsel~Brittle Star

10 Gallon Sea Clear Acrylic est. 7-05
Whisper HOB w/carbon+ 1 rio 400 PH
65 watt 12K PC
DSB + 6lbs. Fiji LR/2lbs. Base R
5 Bl Leg Hermits/ 5 Astrea Snails
1 Serpeant Star/ 1 Whte Burr Star
Leather Coral
Orange+Green Zoos
Growth of Halimeda
SALTYDAWGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 08:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Threadfins, or bannerfish actually prefer to be in schools and IMO, would require a bigger tank. The longnosed butterfly is a carnivore and sometimes are hard to feed due to the tiny mouth. Make sure it is eating at the lfs before bringing it home and say goodbye to all your featherdusters and small crustaceans before adding it to your tank.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alright thanks for the info. Gonna hold off on those two.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
Nice choice hammer..!
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you specifically want a Butterflyfish, you might consider a Raccoon. I successfully keep a Raccoon Butterfly (Chaetodon lunula) in my 75 FOWLR, so that might be a possibility for you. Raccoons have a decent success rate in home aquariua.

He's not aggressive (but will defend himself when the Angel gives him grief), By watching the other fish eat, he has learned to eat Formula Two, Angel Formula, Mysis, brine, clams, squid and other things, but a Raccoon doesn't have the long nose, so they can shred food and eat like pigs. He goes crazy for purple seaweed, but also eats the green kind. But of course I had to move my starfish to the fuge, because BFs will eat inverts unless they're covered by a shell. And if they can knock them over on their backs, they can peck a good-sized snail to death.

--Aquabear

FW1-16g, 5 Zebra danios, 4 Pristella Tetras, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Brush-nose Pleco
FW2-5g, 1 Baby Gold Marble Angel (raised from fry), 6 Zebra Danios
SW1-75g, (80# LR), Scarlett hermits, Turbo snails, Percula Clownfish (Gizmo), Oscellaris Clownfish (Whizzer), Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (Mikado), Royal Gramma (Orpheus), Black Sailfin Blenny (Casper), Yellow Tang (Pele), Racoon Butterflyfish (Raptor), Lyretail Anthia (Juliette)
FW3-30g, 2 mated Gold Marble Angels (Oscar/Yenta)
SW2-20g, QT, currently empty
FW4-30g, currently empty
FW5-20g, 2 Gold Angels (non-paired)
SW3-35g (REFUGIUM for SW1) - EVIL ChocChipStar, Nassarius and Turbo snails
SW4-55g, 4 BlueGreen Chromis, King's Crown snail.
AquaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Don't the raccoons get pretty big?
Old 06-24-2005, 05:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, some of them can. Some BFlies, like Chaetodon lineolatis (Lined Butterfly) can reach 10 - 12", but Raccoons average 6-7". There is always Chaetodon punctatofasciatus (Spotbanded Butterfly) that averages 4" and is also very beautiful.

Butterflyfish are an unusual group, either species do well or do very bad, but they are all beautiful.

--Aquabear

FW1-16g, 5 Zebra danios, 4 Pristella Tetras, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Brush-nose Pleco
FW2-5g, 1 Baby Gold Marble Angel (raised from fry), 6 Zebra Danios
SW1-75g, (80# LR), Scarlett hermits, Turbo snails, Percula Clownfish (Gizmo), Oscellaris Clownfish (Whizzer), Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (Mikado), Royal Gramma (Orpheus), Black Sailfin Blenny (Casper), Yellow Tang (Pele), Racoon Butterflyfish (Raptor), Lyretail Anthia (Juliette)
FW3-30g, 2 mated Gold Marble Angels (Oscar/Yenta)
SW2-20g, QT, currently empty
FW4-30g, currently empty
FW5-20g, 2 Gold Angels (non-paired)
SW3-35g (REFUGIUM for SW1) - EVIL ChocChipStar, Nassarius and Turbo snails
SW4-55g, 4 BlueGreen Chromis, King's Crown snail.
AquaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 11:50 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think I'm still gonna hold off since I only have a 65 gallon. Thanks for the input.

Tags
butterfly, fly, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com