Long Tentacle Anemone Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishsticks

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a pretty good sized Long Tentacle Anemone and am finding it hard to get alot of info on the guy. I would like some advice from someone who has raised one successfully so I can be ahead of the curve. Any and all info would be appreciated. Feeding, water additives, pretty much care in general. Thanks!

Hiya. :) You can feed the nem once or twice a week, tiny little pieces of silversides or other seafood. You don't HAVE to feed them though, they get everything from the light and the water column. There are no additives you need to add to the tank. An anemone does require alot of light and pretty pristine water conditions though, usually not recommended for a new tank or one thats under 6 months old.

What type of lighting do you have?

Also, the guy at my LFS reccomended I get another source of filtration. Canister filter, UV filter or protein skimmer. Right now I just have a Auqua clear 70 power filter and 30 lbs of live rock. Which would you reccomend and which benefits the tank the most?

How big is the tank? I would go with a skimmer, for sure. A UV is questionable as far as results and a canister filter is a pain to clean all the time but will work well if youre set on that.

I would guess even without knowing the tank size that you need more rock. base rock is your best bet, you can add as much as you want with no parameter spikes and it's a lot cheaper than live rock. :)

carey said:
How big is the tank? I would go with a skimmer, for sure. A UV is questionable as far as results and a canister filter is a pain to clean all the time but will work well if youre set on that.

I would guess even without knowing the tank size that you need more rock. base rock is your best bet, you can add as much as you want with no parameter spikes and it's a lot cheaper than live rock. :)

30 gallon

Hmm I was expecting a bigger tank! lol

I still say a bit more rock would be good as well as a skimmer, if you want one that is. I firmly believe you can keep a 30g tank with out a skimmer if you are religious with your water changes. The extra rock can help with bio-filtration and the aquaclear should be taking care of mechanical and chemical so I think you would be set.

Do you have any issues with your tank that would make you wanna add more equipment? less is sometimes more. lol

I lost the first fish I bought : ( a coral beauty. Took a water sample to my LFS and my nitrates were at 25. I now only have 2 clowns and a Fu Manchu Lion

carey said:
Hmm I was expecting a bigger tank! lol

I still say a bit more rock would be good as well as a skimmer, if you want one that is. I firmly believe you can keep a 30g tank with out a skimmer if you are religious with your water changes. The extra rock can help with bio-filtration and the aquaclear should be taking care of mechanical and chemical so I think you would be set.

Do you have any issues with your tank that would make you wanna add more equipment? less is sometimes more. lol

And what brand and model skimmer would you reccomend?

Nitrates of 25 isn't life or death in a fish only tank, BUT it will become an issue with an anemone in the tank now. You have to get as close to 0 as you can to keep that thing happy. Not easy to keep, lol. I had one and returned it a few months later, just too much worry for me. hehe

But anyways, a skimmer can help some but it's not gonna get 25 nitrates down to 0. Thats gonna be water changes and feeding habits. I'm guessing with the fu man chu in there the bioload is bigger than what would be normal for a 30g tank, plus to be honest I don't know much about lionfish, I know that one is small, my friends happen to have one. :)
If you want to try a skimmer I would look at the reef octopus hang on ones or maybe a CPR back pak. You want to get one that is rated for 2x the size of your tank to be good, so you need a skimmer for 60-100g.

Here are some links

Hang On Back HOB Reef Octopus Protein Protein Skimmers - AquaCave.com
CPR Protein Skimmers - AquaCave.com
Eshopps In-Sump & Hang-On Protein Skimmers - AquaCave.com

These are all reputable and good quality in my opinion. I don't know how well the eshopps hang on works, but I know the in sump skimmer is excellent in my book so it could be worth looking at.

Back
Top Bottom