Long Tentacle Anenome and Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just added a LTA to my tank. I have about 6 watts/gallon of lighting and a soft enough substrate for the anenome to bury its foot. My question is whether or not my False Percula Clown would choose the anenome as a host. The LTA has been in the tank about 5 days and the clown shows little interest.

The odds aren't great. Generally if they are going to host, they will start right away. Captive breds that have never seen an anemone generally won't have a clue about them. Your best bet it to find a WC that is already hosting. I picked up a WC clarkii that wll host anything he's given. My ocel. shows no interest even after seein the clarkii host.

My TR false perc had no interest in any anemone. I tried a bulb tip and LTA. Nothing. I tried everything to encourage her to host, but nothing seemed to work. However after i paired her up with with another perc, she and her mate quickly hosted a goniopora. After a successful spawn, they were moved to a 20 gallon with a green bulb tip anemone and immediately began to host that. Now they spawn about once every 14 days.

Don't give up. My perc took several weeks before it began to host in a purple condy. The romance has to be given time. :wink:

Give it time. Just because they have not found each other now does not mean they will not in the future. It took a couple of months before my pair of true percs decided to seek refuge in my BTA. There are no promises, but it may happen down the road. just wait and see.

My tomato just started laying in my lta yesterday. And they've been together for 7 months.
he's been hovering around it now and then for about two weeks.
so even after he finds it, and realizes it could be a friend.
There's still a bonding process for fish that aren't use to being with anemones.
on the other hand a wild perc. or tomato will be in it before it hits the bottom.

Ialso have a oscelaris that wants nothing to do with liverock, corals, otherfish, or anemones, he just stays by the top of the tank. (8 months)

give it time

if you want to encorage it then you could put the two in a 10 gallon by themselves and this would increase chances and decrease interferance. But it could also make your clown very territorial!!

my advice would be to just wait, if you want something swimming in the lta now then I would suggest a tomato they seem much more eager to except an anemone.

mmmmm good advice, but I wasn't really asking why my clowns weren't forming relationships with the LTA

Anyhoo Thanks

Back
Top Bottom