Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2003, 09:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
Long tentacle plate coral

I just got a long tenticale plate coral and iwas wonderng when i should feed it? Should i feed it at night? What should i feed it? Is krill ok? and how often.

Thanks

Old 11-07-2003, 09:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Meaty foods. Krill is good. It can be at any time of day.

However, I wanted you to know that they are mean little buggers and they wander around. (They inflate their bodies around the entire skeleton). If you have any other aggressive corals with sweeper tentacles near the floor of your aquarium, it might find it and if that happens, they will duke it out.

I had green star polyps, leathers, anthelia, xenia, mushrooms, zoanthids near the bottom of my tank. My plate never bothered them one iota. However, one day a clumsy Mexican turbo knocked my galaxea off of the rock work. I saw it before work and just leaned it against the base of my rock work. When I got home that night, I decided that I liked the way it looked there and left it. Within 3 or 4 days, the plate wandered over there and killed about 1/2 of it.

The plate had always wandered but never more than a few inches. I had it for ages. It actually walked across the entire tank for the first time after the galaxea fell. With my luck, the first time it wandered over to the other side of the tank was the time the galaxea was near the bottom.

It's slowly starting to recover though.

MantisFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 09:56 PM   #3
cj10488

Most of the time When Plates Move it is due to a crab or other sort of creature under it and moves it.. I have a Short T. Plate Coral and its Pretty cool.. Doesnt really do much but its purple.. As for feeding it a piece of krill is perfect.. I feed my entire tank right above where he is resting and when i feed kril he eats whatever falls on him.. Which has been alot at times.. Can we say Waht a Pig.. Lol Anyways just watch the long Tent and place it somewhere where its obviously not going to hurt anything and you should be fine.. Their tenticals can go out a distance so I would suggest about 12" away from anything it can touch and on a sandy bottom..

HTH,
James
Old 11-07-2003, 10:41 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
My plate never moved when i had it. I am really sad cause my darn pistol shrimp covered half of it up one day and I did not see it till the following day and half of the plate flesh died. SO I moved the plate to another part of the tank and the darn shimp did it again. I had that plate for well over a year and a half probably.

mine would like anything meaty. Make sure the bits of meat are not to large. It was fun to see it move the meaty bits toward its center mouth.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 10:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I never new they could reach that far. I have an open brain about 5 inches away i guess i beter start reaaranging my tank huh? So pretty much it is mean? Is it not a good coral to have or what? Of course the guy at the lfs said oh yeah it is a great coral and not aggressive at all. I guess i should have researched it more. This is the only coral i have ever gotten that i havent researched. Well i guess you live and learn.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If the pieces oar to big will it not eat it?

And should i take the hard part of the krill off or just give it to him with it on?
Old 11-07-2003, 11:13 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Most of the time When Plates Move it is due to a crab or other sort of creature under it and moves it..
They move when they get the urge, or do not like conditions, their wanderlust can sometimes be there undoing.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 11:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

so should i worry about this or not?

How fast does it move? I don't want it to hut any of my other corals
Old 11-08-2003, 12:14 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm only telling you what happened in my tank. All of our tanks are different and all of our critters are different. Yours might be less aggressive---I don't know.

Here's my experience. I had LTP that constantly moved around but mostly wandereed around a small area for a long time. It decided to wander at an unfortunate time.
MantisFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 12:22 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

They move slowly, but not so slowly that they couldn't do damage while your at work, and even if you are home there is not guarantee that you putting it back will help, it will just move again

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com