Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2006, 12:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ChazYork
Long tentacle plate coral (green)

So the LFS has a long tentacle plate coral for sale, and it looks very interesting. Just inquiring some advice from everyone before i make a binary-buy LOL sorry, just had to.

Would they be able to kill small fish with their sting? If placed high enough in a tank with PC bulbs would they survive? I've read a couple threads on them but im lookin for anyone with experience keeping them. TIA

55g reef, 75lbs LR, 60lbs of base rock from hirocks.com, small hippo tang, paired clowns, 3 green chromis, 1 yellowtail damsel, 3 peppermint shrimp, 1 pistol shrimp, various assortment of snails and hermits, polyps, purple ribbon gorgonian, pulsing xenia, yellow button polyps
ChazYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

typically you want to keep plates on the substrate, not saying that you cant keep it higher, but most people keep it on the sand, to prevent its tissue from being torn.

75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok, but in a 55g with power compacts, i would think the substrate would be too far away?
55g reef, 75lbs LR, 60lbs of base rock from hirocks.com, small hippo tang, paired clowns, 3 green chromis, 1 yellowtail damsel, 3 peppermint shrimp, 1 pistol shrimp, various assortment of snails and hermits, polyps, purple ribbon gorgonian, pulsing xenia, yellow button polyps
Old 01-25-2006, 10:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it would do fine on the sand bed with your lights Chaz. They don't require high amounts of light.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

also, they dont need to be in an area with a ton of flow, you just need to get the tentacles to waver a little bit, and a periodic spot feed with cyclop-eeze or something once or twice a month wouldn't hurt.
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok well i bought the long tentacle plate yesterday afternoon and after acclimation it was doing well, swaying and outstretched. However, i tested my water today and found my pH at 8.0 so i added some buffer and the tentacles have been closed up ever since and that was around 4 PM EST.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh, I want to get a plate coral. I have a PC lighting to, 260W total. Now I am excited. I should get one too.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:29 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Re: Long tentacle plate coral (green)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazYork
So the LFS before i make a binary-buy LOL sorry, just had to.
no you didn't... don't use other peoples errors as catch phrases.

Quote:
so i added some buffer and the tentacles have been closed up ever since
How did you add the buffer?
Old 01-26-2006, 09:49 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

just spooned it into the front corner as i do every other time...
Old 01-26-2006, 09:54 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
unless you have some weird kind of buffer that actually says add it directly to your tank like that, you should NOT add it in that manner. It should be diluted in other water before adding it to your tank. If it is a powder, make sure it is dissolved well. If it is a liquid, it needs to be diluted so that strong concentrations do not land among the corals, that is also the reason you premix powders out of the tank.

Tags
coral, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com