Long Tentacle VS. bulb tip anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thartsockpg

Aquarium Advice Freak
so what is the difference between a bulb tip(same as bubble tip right?) and a long tentacle anemone other than the look of them? what are the different things that will host them and is one easier to care for than another? are there any different tank specifications that you would need to have for either?
thanks everyone!

I've found both to be quite hardy and easier to care for than ritteri's and sebae's. BTAs are much more likely to host clowns than any other anemone with maybe the exception of the ritteri (H.Magnifica). I'd probably start with a BTA if you want to get a clown to host it. PJ Cardinals have also been known to host BTAs in the wild. (Not sure if it's happened in captivity).

The two anemone's in question require a lot of light. 250w MH, 4+ T5 bulb fixture, quality LEDS etc. Both would do well in a 30g+ tank. They also require as good to perfect water as you can get. Even still, they are more forgiving than the more sensitive anemones.

Folks have recommended to wait at least a year before adding an anemone. Obviously the longer the tank has been around, the more stable it is. Personally, I've never agreed with this. A stable tank is a stable tank; regardless of how long it's been established. A more established tank is no doubt able to cope with bigger swings but with good aquarium husbandry skills, regular water changes, good filter equipment, and plentiful lighting adding an anemone before this 1 year mark is very doable. It's a personal choice and one that I'm happy I made. Before adding an anemone though, think about your abilities to care for its special needs and the animal iteself. If you haven't been able to keep your tank parameters stable, odds are an anemone will pose a much harder challenge. Good luck!

In my experience and from observation, bubble tips seem to like to be on rocks. Long tentacles seem to like to bury their foot in the sand at the base of a rock. Also, I've read a lot more about bubble tips splitting than long tentacles.

My cinnamon clown is hosted by a long tentacle.

Back
Top Bottom