Long Tentacule Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kopitar

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys

i bought a long tentacule anemore about 1 month ago. it is doin fine but my problem is it wont settle anywhere i put it...
At first i burried him in the sand (his foot only) and placed him in between 2 rocks kinda so it wouldnt move so much and after couple of days it decided to move somewhere else..
I let it do his thing and he stayed at this new place for 2-3 days and then decided to move again during night and placed himself in the back of my display ( i couldnt see him anymore from the front) i figured " ok maybe theres less flow in the back i'll leave it there" he basicly stayed in the back for 1 week and decided to move again to the front of my tank. when he came back to the front i decided to dig a hole in the sand about 3-4 inch until his foot could touch the glass and put him in the hole thinking he wouldnt move from there this time but no he decided again to undig himself and move around... it's been almost 1 month now and he wont settle anywhere....

what should i do next ? i went back to my LFS and lady told me that if i didnt put him in the sand myself he will never do it by himself. so she told me to retry a few times until he doesnt move but i read on the internet to let them chose where they want to settle.. so im confused what to do next ?

my tank is a 75gal running for 9 months
salinity 1.025
2 power heads on each side of the tank
water temp 26C

any advice would be appreciated
thanks

Forgot to mention that i also turned off powerhead for almost a full day to make sure it would settle in his hole before turning them back on but that didnt help

Anemone would choose a moderate flow, a good stable temperature and a strong light. If you just leave him alone he will find that spot if you meet his requirements. What is your heater, power head and lights?

Is it normal that he hasnt found his "spot" in 1 month ?? How long does it usually take in avg ?
Can he run around the tank like that forever without finding a spot he likes ?
Also do LTR anemone die if their foot is not burried in sand ?

My lighting is 6 bulbs T5 system 8-10 hours a day

Anemone has a suction in their foot and can hold on to a rock. Sand is not a good place for them. My anemone is attached to a rock but when there is a slight change of either water circulation and lighting it starts to move by crawling slowly on same rock. You might not have a stable temp or a good water circulation.

What color is its base (body below the tentacles)

Okay good that one doesn't require a really deep sand bed.

As long as its mouth is closed and it has not lost color it is still healthy just looking for the right place. Don't move it. Wherever it stops try to keep the flow the same.

Is it normal that he hasnt found his "spot" in 1 month ?? How long does it usually take in avg ?

Chances are he can't find it in your tank. The sign of anemone dying is when it starts bleaching and stay that way for a long time.

No, it's not normal that it hasn't settled and attached after a month, and no, they won't die without being buried in the sand.
Like the others said, you can't force it to do anything. If it's not finding an ideal situation, I would look to the obvious things, like parameters, flow, and lighting.

Thanks guys i'll leave it be for now and see what it does

Back
Top Bottom