Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-25-2006, 09:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Long time SW tank, 1st time reef tank

I have had SW tanks successfully for many years but I am going to try my hand at a reef tank. Currently have a 50 gal tank, 3 fish (Two percula clowns(for over a year) and a new niger trigger. Just got a new light (my old one finally broke) current satellite w/ 2 -65 watt bulbs. (I don't know much about types of bulbs- the box says 10,000 K/460NM Actinic)
Would like some suggestions on first anemones or corals to start with. Also have questions about the calcium levels. A store salesman talked to me about adding liquid calcium but I tested mine. According to the test kit they seem good.
About the lighting. How much per day or does thing depend on the type of coral etc.
Any other good starting suggestions would be appreciated.

MartinAugarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via Yahoo to stevefromga2000
i'm not sure about the reef tank. good luck though, you should keep everybody posted with some neat pictures of stuff when you get it. also, i have read a lot about the lighting throughout this site, and it seems like a lot of people have suggested 250 to 300 watts at least for most reef tanks. hopefully somebody that knows for sure will let you know. either way, good luck. also, welcome to the forum. lots of cool people here with a lot of good advice to give.

stevefromga2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but except for the few corals that do well under low light, you will be quite limited as to what you can have. A suggested minimum would be 4 watts per gallon.

One of your tanks inhabitants can be rather "iffy" with corals. That would be the niger trigger.
I have a small niger in one of my coral grow out tanks and it is not picking on anything *yet*.

As for adding calcium, you did right by checking levels first. Salesmen are there to do just that, sell things..I amsure you know what I mean by that

I leave my lights on for 10 hours each day.
Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
I have to agree. 2x65watts of CF lighting is just not enough to support most corals, anemones are out of the question. You may have success with some species of mushrooms or zoanthids. Anything above and beyound that would not do well in the long-term.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:21 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree that right now your lighting is not sufficient. But you can always upgrade to more or better lighting.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
You also might want to do some research on owning an anemone before you consider buying one. They do best in well established reef tanks, and even then it can be iffy as to whether they will thrive or not. Just my opinion.

Ksnell is offline   Reply With Quote

long, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com