Longhorn Cowfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Heya Guys,

So, I'm thinking about stocking my new 120g tank (not set up yet)
I fell in love the Longhorn Cowfish and as far as I know it is reef safe :)
Only problem is they MAY eat shrimp... I got a cleaner shrim..., so I'm wondering if anybody has experience with that beautiful fish and if they are compatible

THX!!!

I dont have experience with the fish but if you make small caves were only the shrimp can fit it should be just fine if the fish gets pecky.

They are so cool looking,,especially when small ,,but personally i'd stay away from them..They can easily reach a foot+ and if stressed or picked on they will release their toxins and nuke your a whole tank...could be risky

Thx for the answers guys!!

I like that fish so very much, I was ok with him eating tube worms and bite a snail occasionally. BUT I did not know that they where poisonous nor that they get so big *gulp*

I googled more information and found that information verified. The previous pages i read about him did not mention that *hmpffff*
that makes me mad bc I almost bought him! If I wouldn't have know I would have payed the price later :(

http://www.freshmarine.com/longhorn-cowfish.html

I think you dodged a bullet by not getting it....but don't worry ,a 120 can be home for a huge variety of fish

FTMMWS said:
I think you dodged a bullet by not getting it....but don't worry ,a 120 can be home for a huge variety of fish

Yeah I know, and my list is getting bigger and bigger LOL
MY boyfriends liked the Cowfish and already came up with a name in case I would give the green light... Now I have to burst that bubble.

The cow fish is one of the most personal fish I ever had. I had one in my 75 gal and was going to trade him in when he got too big. What the LFS failed to mention is that they need low flow, somewhat like a seahorse, because they are slow swimmers. They also need to have lots of food. I've learned to research all fish myself before buying. I also wasn't told about the toxin factor and was lucky his death didn't destroy my tank. I would love to have another someday but I will have a special setup for it if I do. I have learned a lot by joining this forum.

FlopNewsom said:
The cow fish is one of the most personal fish I ever had. I had one in my 75 gal and was going to trade him in when he got too big. What the LFS failed to mention is that they need low flow, somewhat like a seahorse, because they are slow swimmers. They also need to have lots of food. I've learned to research all fish myself before buying. I also wasn't told about the toxin factor and was lucky his death didn't destroy my tank. I would love to have another someday but I will have a special setup for it if I do.

Sorry to hear about your cow
My LFS has one in their tank and that fish just looks at you and follows you around the entire time you are there when u play with him. I'm in love LOL
but we do not have an extra set up for it nor will my boyfriend let me now that I got my big tank

FlopNewsom said:
I have learned a lot by joining this forum.
Isn't it funny how you can never know too much about this Hobbie?!

Back
Top Bottom