longnose hawkfish= reef safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zacheyp

Aquarium Advice Addict
some places say reef safe, some dont, can someone with firsthand expierence help!!!!
thanks

I have one in my 90 gallon reef. He has took a few swipes at peppermint shrimp but he was too slow to catch them. Now he is the perfect citizen :D but many people have had bad experiences with them. If in doubt, I would not get one. How big of a tank would you get and what invertabrates?

I have a 20 long, will have about 10 corals some hermits snails and shrimp.

That is on the small side for a Longnose, which gives it more of a chance to go after the shrimp.

Would it harm corals, what would u recommend replacing it with?

They will not harm corals, but they do like to perch on them occaisonally. If they do this too much, which in a 20L they might, they could damage SPS.

There is not really a fish that looks like the hawkfish. Have you considered a Zebra Dartfish or a Midas Blenny? I love mine, and they could probably go in a 20L.

I have had a longnose for a year now with all kinds of corals and he never bothered them at all!! Like greenturtle said above though they will perch on a few :)

Back
Top Bottom