Look at my tank which coral would you add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am lost really on what coral I should add to my display. I don't want to just throw anyting into my tank. If you got a minute please take a look at my tank and offer any advice you may have.I would really appreciate any comments

img_923096_0_7a525a52ed437674fe1f36a5fb2eae65.jpg

I think some blue or red mushrooms would look great drapped across/down the rock on the far left.
Is there anything in particular you have in mind? Like, something that hugs the rocks or something that sprouts up? I think a cabbage leather would like nice too.
Or did you want more lps? Maybe a bubble coral? Your choices are many. lol

I am not really sure. I like the sprouts up idea, I will take a look at a cabbage leather. I had a hard time with mushrooms I couldn't get them to attach to my rocks or spread. I only had a few which I no longer have. they floated away and died.

I want lots of color and interesting things. I was thinking about some pulsating xenia. and also considering another ricordea, I want to get something to have as a main attraction down on the bottom of the tank. I will have upgraded lighting next month probably (x-mas) so will be adding some SPS maybe?

I wouldn't give up the mushrooms. I just think they are lovely when they grow down and across the sandbed. As for xenia, yeah it's pretty but it's a weed to and can get out of hand so be mindful of where you place it. I'd put it high up. It tends to grow slower if it has to grow downward. Another thing you could try is a tree leather. Leathers grow fast and need a good bit of space so I guess it depends on what your ultimate goal is. Ricordia is always a great addition. If you are planning an upgrade anyway though, I would hold out for some sps. :)

I just wanted to comment on how nicely you have the rock work set up in your tank. I've been trying forever to get mine set up ..... when are you coming back over my way? I have a job for you! LOL

i also agree on one of the previous posts, ricks are nice, the color variation is great and is a mushroom. leather corals are nice, easy to frag, but shed a slime once in a while which seems to collect in my tank.

if you visit bluegrasscorals.com you can get a great picture of the variety, however there prices are crazy, mom and pop stores seem to sell corals at a nice cheap price which is where i get my corals. but just check out different corals and get a feel for their colors and what you plan to do, would you like a coral to just sit in one spot and look pretty or would you like a coral that will grow and spread?

im going to personally attempt to make something uneaque. i hope no one steals my idea commercially but im going to attempt something , i dont think its been done before but if it works out then im sure it will be a big hit in the aquarium world. ill get back to this in a few months.

I agree with the aquascaping! Very nice!
Do you have any specific colors you would like to add?

Last edited:
I was going to suggest a bubble coral also.

img_923138_0_77fe9529ac83b1b1ae905f547cc2b5f7.jpg

Cindy also suggested a cabbage leather

100_1579.jpg

Also mushrooms were mentioned

100_0144-med.jpg

Just showing you what they would look like.

Alot depends on what kind of tank do you want? hard or soft. If it was I , go with chalices, acans, favias

aside from looks, its important to know how much your willing to commit to a coral, from what i have read, some corals require special care such as feeding as they dont get much energy from light.

hey melosu58, how delicate is bubble coral? i have a small tank w/ two nano power heads and the intake from sump.

I`m not Scott but here is the pic of my bubble coral after I had it 2 yrs and a recent pic of it after 10+ yrs. They are very hardy corals. Doesnt take much maint. Dont have to feed. They get all they need from the lighting and water column.

8 yrs ago. (two yrs old)
img_923236_0_77fe9529ac83b1b1ae905f547cc2b5f7.jpg

Now (ten yrs old)
100_1964.jpg

It experienced quite a change didnt it.

Last edited:
looks like it used to be all folded up like a flower waiting to bloom. the ones i have seen at the store are not in a neat circle, they are chain like.

Thanks for all the input I appreciate it. Im not rushing into anything just wanted to pick at your brains a bit. I am thinking Acan, some kind of leather, A sun coral, a big fat pile of mushrooms, and all depending upon lighting a clam and some hard sps corals.

I just wanted to comment on how nicely you have the rock work set up in your tank. I've been trying forever to get mine set up ..... when are you coming back over my way? I have a job for you! LOL
This is probably the 25th arrangement before I was happy then I eliminated some and stuffed them into my sump and I was even more happy. and I am still not happy :D LOL

Back
Top Bottom