Looking for a "center piece" fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1. Ive always heard they are finnicky and usually even expeienced hobbyists can have a hard time with them

They are a deep water fish. You see them on the reef below 50' They are also like tangs, angels and triggers as they are covering a lot of territory each day to get fed. I don't think they take well to captivity except in certain expert systems.

Tkey3425 said:
How about a marine beta for the show fish?

Marine bettas arent usually open water swimmers. They usually stick to the rockwork and caves. Not the best showpiece fish (im saying all this as i have one lol)

Marine bettas arent usually open water swimmers. They usually stick to the rockwork and caves. Not the best showpiece fish (im saying all this as i have one lol)

I have one too. Him popping out is always a pleasure...but rare.

Weird.....Mine seemed to be out in the open all the time. Only hid in the early morning when the first couple of light hours were on then it ventured out with the rest of the fish.

How about the mimic lemon peel tang? I always like watching my fish mature into another color. It's like a trophy for raising them well lol

Weird.....Mine seemed to be out in the open all the time. Only hid in the early morning when the first couple of light hours were on then it ventured out with the rest of the fish.

How about the mimic lemon peel tang? I always like watching my fish mature into another color. It's like a trophy for raising them well lol

It depends on the neighborhood. If you aren't tough and you live in the hood, you don't sit on the porch.

Last edited:
How about another wrasse, if you up for the challenge a leopard wrasse is one of the most striking fish ive ever seen....they are hard to get them to eat prepared foods, i know a guy in my reef club that has him in a 180 with tangs etc but the wrasse always sticks out to anyone one that comes over his house....he told me the wat he got it to eat was buying live brine for a couple of weeks and eased him on frozen brine....now he eats like a champ and will take anything you give him....last year he disassembled his tank and i tried buying it off of him but he wouldnt sell him....he sold his purple tang, PB, hippo, and achilles but kept the leopard for the 40 breeder he was starting up....still to this day the leopard wrasse is one of my favorite fish

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+339&pcatid=339

How about another wrasse, if you up for the challenge a leopard wrasse is one of the most striking fish ive ever seen....they are hard to get them to eat prepared foods, i know a guy in my reef club that has him in a 180 with tangs etc but the wrasse always sticks out to anyone one that comes over his house....he told me the wat he got it to eat was buying live brine for a couple of weeks and eased him on frozen brine....now he eats like a champ and will take anything you give him....last year he disassembled his tank and i tried buying it off of him but he wouldnt sell him....he sold his purple tang, PB, hippo, and achilles but kept the leopard for the 40 breeder he was starting up....still to this day the leopard wrasse is one of my favorite fish

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+339&pcatid=339

I agree. But they aren't easy to get to eat. Most folks don't have access to live brine shrimp, but your technique is what works.

Maybe one of those White tailed bristle tooth's from Africa. I could never find one in stock. And it's something different from the daily grind.

Maybe one of those White tailed bristle tooth's from Africa. I could never find one in stock. And it's something different from the daily grind.
Good luck Carey has been on the wait list for a few years I think last time the white tail came up. I've been searching everywhere for one for the last month and cannot get one in.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Leopard Wrasse

I'm getting a Chioti (sp) leopard wrasse.

Id stay away from tangs, atleast the black/purple/ yellow tang. Not only do they really need atleast 6 feet of horizontal space to keep them from stressing out and/or becoming territorial. Also they can be pretty aggressive towards others once they are bigger in size. I have a juvenile purple tang in my 125 and i wouldnt trade her for a black tang in any situation. Sure the black tang is pretty rare, but i dont personally see them as visually appealing

Back
Top Bottom