Looking for a little info on a FO tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doan

Aquarium Advice Freak
My wife and I have come into a second tank a 75gallon. We have a reef up and running for a while but she wants to just put a pacaso trigger in the 75. My question is can I just throw my fluval 404 on there and that would be enough filtration. Also it has been running on my reef for months (yes I clean it regularly) so there is tons of bacterian but is that enough. I just don't get it .. in my reef you know I have the LR etc. and that seems to do the job great but how do you keep the FO tanks clean etc.. any info would be great.

Thanks
Doan

The 404 should be plenty for a 75 gal tank as long as you are careful about bioload. Usually, CC is used as a substrate for FO tanks. You vacuum it just like the gravel in a FW tank. Maintenance on a FO SW tank is very similar to a FW tank. Frequent water changes will control nitrate levels and help inhibit the growth of pest algae.

Thanks Logan ...

yeah Like I said It will just be a 1 trigger tank or a porc puffer but anyway a one fish tank and a place where I can keep some LR eventually as I slowly acquire it for a large reef in the future...She has to chose the fish I just am a Little wary of how much simpler this is than reef (I am kinda masochisitc i guess).. I just kinda need some reassurance :) So a fluval will be ok then just do water changes every week and vaccum the substrate. Cool thanks.

Doan

My fish only eel tank is actually more of a challenge to keep up then the reef tanks. This is due to the inability to find appropriate cleaning crews that wont become midnight snacks. I use a trickle filter and a BIG skimmer to keep the numbers in check.

You will have a similar problem with cleaning crew choices, so manual cleaning
is going to be more frequent than in a reef tank.

Back
Top Bottom