Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2005, 08:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by proverb
my sand is getting pretty dirty in my 38 gal tank, so i was planning on getting a sand sifter goby. what i had in mind is getting a Pistol shrimp with a twin spot or diamond goby.
There is most likely some nasty stuff in your sand bed that when stirred into the water column could cause big problems ie. ammonia/nitrite spikes or worse a tank crash. The older the sand bed the more likely this will be a problem. Be cautious and keep a close eye on things if the pistol shrimp really starts digging. Running GAC 24/7 is always a good idea. I agree 100% w/ fluff, a 38gal just is NOT big enough for even one tang of any kind. They need lots of swimming room or they get stressed and become extremely susceptible to disease/death. HTH

Old 11-25-2005, 08:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

wow. that sucks. well, the blue tang is just over an inch big, so it is really small. and it seems to get along with my clown great. the lfs guy never said anything about my tank being too small, which makes me pretty mad. cant i just keep the tangs until they grow out of my tank?

Clean-up Crew: 2 snails, 1 crab
proverbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

actually, i just found out that my tank is a 40 gallon. it is the JEBO R375. but i dont think the 2 extra gallons should make a difference.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs
i dont think the 2 extra gallons should make a difference.
Unfortunately not. Understandably it is small right now but with good tank conditions and food, it will grow fast and really shouldn't be in anything smaller than a 75g tank.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

i know i should return them, but i REALLY like them. if i did decide to keep them, how long will i be able to have them for before they get too big?
Old 11-26-2005, 08:19 AM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

No tang should be subjected to a 38 gallon tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 10:59 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs
i know i should return them, but i REALLY like them. if i did decide to keep them, how long will i be able to have them for before they get too big?
You know ultimately it's your decision and I can't tell you what to do with your tank. But, in the best interest of the fish, which is my goal here, it would be best to put your feelings aside and return the fish. It's really not fair to them to keep them crammed in a tank that is to small for the sake of your own feelings. That said, my biggest salt tank is a 55 and I've never had a blue tang so I don't know how fast they will grow. But, I would guess 6 months tops. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:28 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

proverb, tangs really like to have plenty of room to swim. they swim fast and without proper tank space they can become stressed. like everone else said, it wont take long before he is cramped.

i have a yellow tang in a 55 gallon that i bought used and he is almost 5 inches. not very much room in there for him and i think blue tangs get even bigger. trust me, they grow fast and you dont want to see him cramped and sad. dorian

Tags
compatibility, gobi, gobies, rim, shrimp, shrimps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com